A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention (2014) by Matt Richtel [Dr.Soc].epub

seeders: 8
leechers: 0
Added on March 30, 2016 by Dr.Soc.in Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention (2014) by Matt Richtel [Dr.Soc].epub (Size: 460.48 KB)
 A Deadly Wandering A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention (2014) by Matt...460.48 KB

Description

If the regular download link does not work,
Please use magnet link (inverted u-shaped icon) for all my uploads.

Matt Richtel "A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention"
William Morrow | English | September 23, 2014 | ISBN: 0062284061 | 416 pages | ePub | 0.5 MB

One morning in September, 2006, Reggie Shaw was driving while texting on a Utah road. He was witnessed swerving into the oncoming lane several times. He ended up hitting another vehicle that held two men, both rocket scientists, husbands, and fathers. They were killed on impact. This book describes the dangers of driving and texting but, more than that, the impact of modern interactive technologies on human attention. It also goes into the lives of the people who were involved in the crash: the families of the dead men, Reggie and his family, the people in the justice system, and the police.

The chapters are short and each one is about either a person who is involved in the accident on some level, the justice system, or the neuroscientists working on attention. I found the writing fascinating. I don't read a lot of non-fiction and when a book holds my attention like this one did, it has to be a page-turner. Matt Richtel, the author and a New York Times journalist, is a pulitzer prize winner.

Initially, Reggie does not remember what happened during the accident and lies about having texted while driving. He is a member of the LDS church and his greatest desire is to go on a mission. He was denied a mission once because he lied to his bishop about the nature of his relationship with his girlfriend. After the accident, he is intent on going on another mission. To those who look at him, he appears to have no remorse, though internally, he is traumatized.

Terryl is the victim's advocate for the county in Utah where the accident occurred. She has experienced a very rough childhood that has made her resilient and strong. She is determined that Reggie not get a free pass on what occurred. She wants him punished to the full extent of the law.

The research that is now occurring on attention and interactive technological devices is laid out so that anyone can understand it. It has been proven that talking on a cell phone or texting while driving causes loss of attention and an increased number of accidents. Multi-tasking decreases attention; it does not extend it. In fact, research has demonstrated that "using a phone behind the wheel is as risky as driving drunk."

I found some of the information repetitive and I felt like the author repeated things because they were so important. I agree with him. They are very important. However, I wish he had trusted the acumen of his readers to absorb and retain what he said rather than feeling the need to restate the obvious.

This is a very important book, one that I am very glad I read. I know people who are glued to their phones or other devices and rarely look up. They are a danger to themselves and others. I hope they are the ones that read this book.

Seed, Share, Gain knowledge || Don't forget to give thumbs up

For any problem with my uploads or trouble with downloading, please PM me. Thanks.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
460.48 KB
seeders:8
leechers:0
A Deadly Wandering: A Tale of Tragedy and Redemption in the Age of Attention (2014) by Matt Richtel [Dr.Soc].epub

All Comments

Respect & thanks!