All Who Go Do Not Return - Shulem Deen .epub

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on April 22, 2015 by ultramoomin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

All Who Go Do Not Return - Shulem Deen .epub (Size: 1.93 MB)
 All Who Go Do Not Return - Shulem Deen.epub1.93 MB

Description

Shulem Deen was raised to believe that questions are dangerous. As a member of the Skverers, one of the most insular Hasidic sects in the US, he knows little about the outside world—only that it is to be shunned. His marriage at eighteen is arranged and several children soon follow. Deen’s first transgression—turning on the radio—is small, but his curiosity leads him to the library, and later the Internet. Soon he begins a feverish inquiry into the tenets of his religious beliefs, until, several years later, his faith unravels entirely. Now a heretic, he fears being discovered and ostracized from the only world he knows. His relationship with his family at stake, he is forced into a life of deception, and begins a long struggle to hold on to those he loves most: his five children. In All Who Go Do Not Return, Deen bravely traces his harrowing loss of faith, while offering an illuminating look at a highly secretive world.

ADDITIONAL REVIEWS
“All Who Go Do Not Return is an extraordinary memoir. The writing is beautiful. The journey it chronicles is poignant, relatable—and also unlike anything most readers will ever have experienced. . . . His voice is an important one in our generation.”—ZEEK

“Shulem Deen has a fascinating story to tell, and he tells it with exquisite sensitivity. All Who Go Do Not Return gives us not only an insider’s glimpse into a shrouded world few outsiders get to see, but also a movingly told narrative of one man’s struggle toward intellectual integrity. The setting may be the world of Hasidic Judaism, but the drama and the insights are universal.”—Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, author of 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction

“All Who Go Do Not Return is a deeply honest and moving story about a man’s decision to do something both so simple and so radical—to live in accordance with his own beliefs. Shulem Deen has written an enormously powerful and important memoir about faith, doubt and freedom."—Tova Mirvis

“On the eve of his marriage, at eighteen, Shulem Deen knew how to slaughter an ox in Jerusalem’s ancient temple, but he knew less than most seven-year-olds do about sex and movies and technology and literature—about the world that lay only miles away from him. Among the Skver Hasids, all who go do not return, but in writing this memoir, Deen has returned, and brought us, his lucky readers, with him. This is a heartbreaking book, and an important one, about the consequences of being true to yourself, and about a world and a community few of us know.”—Joshua Henkin

"It is just amazing that this complete subculture exists amidst the bustle of New York City. Deen was very brave to leave, and even braver to share his story. I am looking forward to publication day so I can share [All Who Go Do Not Return] with the world. It is definitely one of my top nonfiction picks for 2015."—Pamela Klinger-Horn, Magers and Quinn Booksellers

“I understand that even if I did visit New Square I would have no greater access to Hasidic life than my occasional walk through Williamsburg, where I can see but can’t penetrate its appeal, or its secrets. Deen’s memoir, however, does grant me that access. It is the book’s ticket to mass appeal as well as the seat of his disquiet in its writing. Though he writes because he has a story to tell, Deen’s work, especially in his memoir, is clearly crafted to benefit others dealing with a wavering faith.”—Tablet Magazine

“A heartbreaking read as Deen fights to reconcile his identity and love for his family with his loss of faith in God. But it is also one of great courage and hope as Deen aspires to live openly and without fear for the first time.”—Publishers Weekly

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.93 MB
seeders:1
leechers:0
All Who Go Do Not Return - Shulem Deen .epub