Chang, Iris-Rape of Nanking, The - epub - zeke23

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on May 31, 2015 by zeke23in Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Chang, Iris-Rape of Nanking, The - epub - zeke23 (Size: 658.51 KB)
 Chang, Iris-Rape of Nanking, The.epub658.51 KB

Description

The Rape of Nanking
by Iris Chang
4.05 of 5 stars
4.05 · rating details · 12,673 ratings · 999 reviews 23
In December 1937, the Japanese army invaded the ancient city of Nanking, systematically raping, torturing, and murdering more than 300,000 Chinese civilians. This book tells the story from three perspectives: of the Japanese soldiers who performed it, of the Chinese civilians who endured it, and of a group of Europeans and Americans who refused to abandon the city and were able to create a safety zone that saved many.

Iris Chang committed suicide. I can't help wondering if doing the research for this book didn't create or deepen her depression. She was an obviously passionate person and turning that passion loose on uncovering what really happened in Nanking in December 1937 must have shook her deeply.

Just reading it shook me deeply.

As a history major in college, I was aware of the allegations against the Japanese in WWII, not just in Nanking but all over S.E. Asia. As an ongoing student of WWII and someone who has traveled all over S.E. Asia, I am even more convinced that the level of brutality that the Japanese visited on the "liberated" peoples of the Greater East Asia Co-prosperity Sphere was matched or exceeded only by the Holocaust in Europe.

Iris Shun-Ru Chang was a Chinese-American historian and journalist. She was best known for her best-selling 1997 account of the Nanking Massacre, The Rape of Nanking. She committed suicide on November 9, 2004, when she was just 36 years old.

The daughter of two university professors who had emigrated from China, Chang was born in Princeton, New Jersey and raised in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois where she attended the University Laboratory High School from which she graduated in 1985. She then earned a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana in 1989, during which time she also worked as a New York Times stringer, writing six front-page articles over the course of one year. After brief stints at the Associated Press and the Chicago Tribune she pursued a master's degree at Johns Hopkins University, and then embarked on a career as an author who also lectured and wrote articles for various magazines. She married Bretton Lee Douglas, whom she had met in college, and had one son, Christopher, who was 2 years old at the time of her death. She lived in San Jose, California in the final years of her life.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
658.51 KB
seeders:1
leechers:0
Chang, Iris-Rape of Nanking, The - epub - zeke23