[Clinton Heylin]Revolution in the Air : The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973(pdf){Zzzzz}

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on December 9, 2014 by zombie_roxin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

[Clinton Heylin]Revolution in the Air : The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973(pdf){Zzzzz} (Size: 2.31 MB)
 [Clinton Heylin]Revolution in the Air The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973(pdf){Zzzzz}.pdf2.31 MB

Description

Bob Dylan has always regarded himself as a songwriter: 'I am my words,' he wrote in 1964.Distilling a lifetime's passion and study, leading Dylan author, Clinton Heylin charts the development and first moments of genius of this unique artist whose songs changed the world.From his first attempts at writing, Song to Bridget, in 1957, (apparently for Brigitte Bardot) Bob Dylan always aspired to poetry, yet his role as a writer rather than a performer of his own songs is often overlooked. In over fifty years of creativity he had penned some of the most iconic, and perfect, songs in popular history. Arriving in New York in 1961, the city had an enormous impact on the young artist and, as he established himself amongst the folk clubs and artists, he would produce songs that spoke for a whole generation: Blowing in the Wind, A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall, The Times They Are a Changin', Like a Rolling Stone, and Forever Young.In Revolution in the Air Clinton Heylin recounts the story of each song as it is written, giving a full appreciation of the songs themselves as well as Dylan the emerging artist. Unlike any other book on Dylan, it charts his rise as a writer, where he gained his inspiration, the burst of energy which produced some of his most famous songs as well as the lesser known stories behind the more iconic verses.This is an essential book for anyone interested in Dylan and his place in literature. Informative, opinionated, packed with new insights and revelations, this is an instant classic.

Product Description

Review

Beg, steal, borrow ... a compelling history of Dylan's mercurial song writing.

Better than any biography could ever be, and a crucial Dylan book.

A gripping new book by Dylan scholar Clinton Heylin so is so far in the deep end that its borderline insane . . [yet] has been devoured with a ravenous, insatiable appetite, and I have even made notes in the margin.

Valuable resource.

A magnum opus that anyone curious about, fascinated by, and devoted to His Master's Voice will want to read and ponder.

True to form, Heylin digs deep-way deep-into the songs, mixing cold hard facts with illuminating anecdotes.

Terrifically interesting for Dylan nuts.

Manna for completists.

About the Author
Clinton Heylin is the most distinguished writer on Bob Dylan in the world. He is the author of Bob Dylan: Behind the Shades - Take Two and Bob Dylan Day by Day. He has also written on all aspects of popular culture, including The Act You've Known For All These Years: A Year in the Life of Sgt. Pepper and Friends, Despite the System: Orson Welles versus the Hollywood Studios and Babylon's Burning: From Punk to Grunge. He lives in Somerset.

Publisher: Constable and Robinson (6 October 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1849012962
ISBN-13: 978-1849012966

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

Brings it back home to what matters: the songs 1 May 2009
By Southern Boy -

I agree with part of the two previous reviewers' comments: Heylin is unnecessarily self-hyping, especially for a biographer. He inserted himself (and what appears to be a perpetual grumpy-older-guy persona) into his biography of Van Morrison ("Can You Feel The Silence?"), ruining what otherwise would have been an enjoyable read for me.

Similarly, he has so many axes to grind with other Dylan writers in his preamble to "Revolution In The Air," you feel he wants a fight with them more than to speak the truth about his subject -- which is Dylan, not those other writers.

Still... this book is so rich. First, it concentrates on the songs. Not "the legend." And it mostly leaves critical comments about specific songs behind, instead just detailing circumstances and background behind their writing. That levelheadedness is valuable in the hothouse bubble of Dylan criticism.

And this book just reminds you where the hothouse really was -- in Dylan's inspired brain. Especially in the 60s which is most of what this first volume covers. (A second volume is planned.) It focuses your attention on Dylan's amazing crawl from copying Woody Guthrie to... replacing him, if you will. An amazing journey.

And the journey is all about those songs. I found it a fascinating read and very hard to put down. I recommend the book highly, even with the caveats about Heylin's personality mentioned above.

Five stars but I can see two as well 12 August 2009
By Vincent -

Mr. Heylin's previous works on Dylan (three that I know of and own) are quite wonderful, despite what reviewers accurately point out as his arrogant, occasionally over-opinionated observations. This work is consistently informative, enlightening, and arguable. I like his use of language and the organization he's used here is especially conducive to examining BD's work as a songwriter. The factual lapses, which really aren't numerous, don't present an issue for readers. Heylin's knowledge and passion are unquestionable, as is his scholarly approach. The rather condescending comments he makes about other critics do not contribute in any positive way to Mr. Heylin's voice as a writer but they also don't seriously mar the the content of this study. He also has a habit of being rather nasty to musicians who Dylan himself holds highly and I do have a problem with that. I do wish that Mr. Heylin (and this goes for each book he's authored on Dylan) would curtail his comments a bit on The Grateful Dead, who he just doesn't get. (Even though almost no one holds the 1987 collaboration to any high estimation). Van Morrison, too. I also am puzzled at Mr. Heylin's negative feelings about Theme Time Radio. He doesn't really explain himself regarding that wonderful radio show. But these are minor quibbles in a work that is a brilliant critical canvas, covering the songs of the major artist of our time. I do look forward to Mr. Heylin's next volume, warts and all. It deserves five stars but I can understand readers who might be furious enough to give it two.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
2.31 MB
seeders:1
leechers:0
[Clinton Heylin]Revolution in the Air : The Songs of Bob Dylan, 1957-1973(pdf){Zzzzz}