Conan - Blood Eagle (2014) [Gorgatz]

seeders: 6
leechers: 0
Added on February 27, 2014 by Gorgatzin Music > Mp3
Torrent verified.

Conan - Blood Eagle (2014) [Gorgatz] (Size: 80.46 MB)
 01 - Crown of Talons.mp322.52 MB
 04 - Gravity Chasm.mp318.28 MB
 02 - Total Conquest.mp314.91 MB
 05 - Horns For Teeth.mp313.31 MB
 03 - Foehammer.mp311.37 MB
 Cover.jpg71.61 KB

Description

Conan - Blood Eagle (2014) [Gorgatz]

- I N F O -

CONAN follow the ideals of their namesake and continue their path without compromises. The second album ‘Blood Eagle‘ is a Doom Drone Metal monument filled with monolithic riffs, hypnotic melodies, brutal drumming and an archaic atmosphere. Epic hymns like ‘Crown Of Talons’ or ‘Gravity Chasm’ transport the listener directly onto blood-soaked battlefields. ‘Blood Eagle‘ has a unique and raw character that will enthrall fans of AHAB, EYEHATEGOD or SUNN O))) with the very first note.

According to a press release "the album is a doom/drone/stoner metal monument filled with monolithic riffs, hypnotic melodies, brutal drumming and an archaic atmosphere. Epic hymns transport the listener directly onto blood-soaked battlefields. "Blood Eagle" has a unique and raw character that will enthrall fans of AHAB, EYEHATEGOD or SUNN O))) with the very first note."

In 2012 I had the pleasure of hearing and reviewing an album that shook me to my very core, an album that not only made my top 5 albums list of that year, but sat securely at the top of it. That album was ‘Monnos’ by doom outfit Conan. If there was one album that was crucial I heard in 2014, it was the follow up album from this band. It was top of my list of albums to hear this year and if I had to trade all the albums we received at Rock n Reel Reviews just to hear this album, I would do it in a heartbeat. Sure, part of me was shitting it in case the mighty ‘Monnos’ was a fluke, but I needn’t have worried. People, ‘Blood Eagle’ has landed.

Crown Of Talons opens this release slowly and builds itself into a wall of epic doomy pleasure. From this opening track part of me felt like I was reliving the greatness of ‘Monnos’ all over again, it’s lethargic hulking brutality was very reminiscent of the feel on ‘Monnos’, but that was all about to change.

The phase soaked guitar riff that opens Total Conquest has me initially intrigued, the following riff however took me on a trip to ‘Brown Town’, that’s right, shit filled boxer shorts. Words fail me when it comes to describing the epicocity (It’s a word) of this riff, it’s perfectly formed, the tone is teeth-rattling and it grooves like an absolute motherfucker. It’s at this point that the production of this new album hits me and even though it was produced once again by the brilliant Chris Fielding, it seems ever so slightly different. The guitar tone is heavy as balls, but it’s sharper than before. ‘Monnos’ was warm and hazy, and ticked every doom box that was ever necessary, but ‘Blood Eagle’ almost leans into a slightly more crisp sludgy sound. I can’t even begin to imagine what this will sound like in a live environment! I’ve seen Conan do their thing live once before and it’s still to this day the heaviest thing I’ve ever witnessed, but this new material will be absolutely annihilating live.

Foehammer comes stomping through my headphones next and although I’d heard this track previous to hearing the full album, it sounds even better within the context of the album. Its colossal grooves are like being punched in the ear with a brick and the addition of a mid-paced tempo only makes you want to bang your head even more than before.

Gravity Chasm is again slightly faster than your regular Conan track, but this just accentuates the hammering thud of the groove. I loved Conan before ‘Blood Eagle’ but the band have unquestionably improved their writing skills since ‘Monnos’, so much so that I’d go on record as saying these guys have an instantly recognisable sound. How many bands can you put into that category? Not that many.

Horns for Teeth could be my new favourite Conan track, I loved the switch from half-time groove on the main riff. Jon’s melodic vocals really emphasize the immensity of each riff on this album and I’m so glad they stuck to the vocal formula they had on ‘Monnos’, as it works a treat. Altar of Grief for me harked back to the slothful vibes of ‘Monnos’ initially, but after a pummelling build of bowel-loosening riffage the track increases the pace and lets the doomy grooves flow for an ending of epic proportions.

In all honesty, I didn’t think Conan could release a better album than ‘Monnos’ and I was cool with that, it was flawless. However, part of me was hoping that ‘Blood Eagle’ would at least be on par with its predecessor. ‘Blood Eagle’ is not only on par with ‘Monnos’ but it outdoes it in every single way. Conan have taken their formula and given it the biggest hoof in the baws possible; making this the easiest 5 star rating I’ve ever given. See you in Glasgow, lads!

I'm going to cut out any contrived intro and just say this. Conan are probably the best metal band in the world. Conan are the fucking best because they make albums that allow a listener on no drink or drugs able to visualise Skyrim buttfucking Westeros in some huge super galactic bunga bunga party.

Recorded last year in Winter at Jon Conan’s Skyhammer Studios; don’t you fucking laugh you cunt, that is the best name ever for a studio. The band laid all their shit down with help from Chris Fielding (Electric Wizard etc) and sent their huge slabs of filth to the legendary James Plotkin to weave his magic on. Going back to the studio name, one of the most amazing things about Conan are what they call things. Like the band name, Conan? WHY WAS THAT NAME NOT TAKEN ALREADY? Maybe because Conan have always existed and time isn’t real. WOW. No, it’s because folk overlooked it.

Right, names. Here’s the names of the songs on Blood Eagle. 1. Crown of Talons 2. Total Conquest 3. Foehammer 4. Gravity Chasm 5. Horns for Teeth 6. Altar of Grief AND the fucking album is called Blood Eagle. I never knew this but I read elsewhere that a 'blood eagle' is when you have your ribs pulled out through your back. Fucking minging huh? Well it’s just as well the album isn’t fucking revolting.

'Crown of Talons' begins with the song growing and growing from a single note into an absolute psychopathic avalanche of fuck that doesn’t understand that no means no. It’s so low in tuning that the band probably created a new note. 'Total Conquest' is all sorts of heavy. Coming in guided by the drums it’s the big sound from Monnos upgraded. This song will kill people at gigs.

'Foehammer', or Gandalf's Sword to guys that never got their hole until they discovered prostitutes, is a high charged, drum daft tune that will be a live favourite. Jon’s Scouse dragonspeak sounding like it was being belted out from the bottom of the Mariana Trench, this is utter fucking filth, metal at its finest. Your neighbours will love it. Turn it up loud so they can hear it when you get the album.

‘Gravity Chasm’, I don’t know what the fuck a gravity chasm is but it’s hands down one of the best song titles ever. It’s also such a good tune I dare you not to wank all over your lovely vinyl in pure respect for it. No spidermaning/multiple miggsing the band live but. I think the bassplayer Phil sings this one. It’s GOOOOOOD. Pure manky sexy sludge. Lots of shouting. Bass. Drums on form.
'Horns for Teeth' starts like it found out you shagged its mum, angry. It’s massive. Jon’s down in the abyss again here singing at times joined by Phil, who has the voice of a pavement saw. There’re shifts in this sound that caught me off guard. Not wanting to sound negative but it definitely sounds like the band wanted to go beyond their previous structures in sound on Blood Eagle and here it shows. Final track 'Altar of Grief' is like that bit in Hellraiser when the cenobite crawls out of the man’s anus wearing a Mayhem t shirt. Mental, powerful and stylish. No idea what Jon’s singing about, I seem to always hear them shouting "wiiiizzzzzzaaaaarrrrdddd". This last tune is epic.

There are definitely no tracks on Blood Eagle that hang about too long; something that deserves credit to all involved in its creation. Conan can be found on this record to have clearly progressed on all fronts while holding onto their low and loud sound that may not sound unique but I challenge you to go and see them live, nothing is as sore as that. Cover your baws too. I’ve no idea if bass waves can hurt vaginas so you are warned. I recall a woman cumming to them in a film once. Hmmm...

Something I’ve been pondering over regarding Conan is the finesse-ness of the drums, while some bands would opt for loud, heavy low sounding drums battered, this band prefer them tight and sharp, this along with the mega mega low frequency sound of the guitars presents a fantastic edge to Conan's output. Also, I fucking love Tony Roberts. He is the dude that made the cover. It’s mesmerising. The character from all the covers (Slomatics split onwards) is holding some cunts head.

Not only do Conan make amazing music but they are also among the nicest guys I’ve met in music, they worked hard on this record and deserve everything coming to them, probably even the cum slinging. Buy fuck oota Blood Eagle. Buy it! But definitely go see them live, you won’t regret it even if you do get tinnitus. This is pure Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Metal.

- T R A C K L I S T -

01. Crown of Talons
02. Total Conquest
03. Foehammer
04. Gravity Chasm
05. Horns For Teeth

Format: Mp3, CBR 320 kbps
Genre : Stoner/Doom Metal
Size: 80.46 MB

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
80.46 MB