Durs Grunbein - Ashes for Breakfast [Kindle azw3]

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on August 8, 2015 by MisterGagain Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Durs Grunbein - Ashes for Breakfast [Kindle azw3] (Size: 691 KB)
 Ashes for Breakfast - Durs Grunbein.azw3566.76 KB
 Cover.jpg122.04 KB
 metadata.opf2.2 KB

Description

Durs Grunbein - Ashes for Breakfast

"From time to time / I have these days when / I feel like embarking / on a poem again / of a kind that still isn't / all that popular," the young Dresden-born poet Durs Grünbein wrote in his first book, "Grauzone Morgens" ("Mornings in the Grayzone"), published shortly before the fall of the Berlin Wall. "I mean / one without any meta- / physical refinements or / that thing that lately has stood in / for such . . . that type of . . . standing gasping akimbo / in the tough East-West marathon."

In spite of this proclamation, though, the selections from "Grauzone Morgens" that appear in English for the first time in "Ashes for Breakfast," along with poems from four other collections, are overwhelmingly concerned with the effects of Germany's split identity, and the grim, smeared landscape of the former East Germany. "The elephantine / gray of these / outlying suburbs" created by Communist housing blocks hovers over everything. Here is "Dresden / viciously fire-bombed back / another cold century of tiredness . . . the streets / full of echoes of secret echoes," and Grünbein himself "nothing but a / wiry little extra / most of the time" in the grand drama of the East German regime.

Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux; 1st edition (January 24, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0374530130
ISBN-13: 978-0374530136

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
691 KB
seeders:1
leechers:0
Durs Grunbein - Ashes for Breakfast [Kindle azw3]