Eero Raittinen - Boxcar - Rotox - Ball

seeders: 0
leechers: 1
Added on March 30, 2009 by in Music
Torrent verified.

Eero Raittinen - Boxcar - Rotox - Ball (Size: 458.55 MB)
 01 Traveller.mp37.73 MB
 02 Desert Sand.mp36.73 MB
 03 Hard Time.mp35.63 MB
 04 Take Me Back.mp34.65 MB
 05 Greenhorn Kid.mp36.89 MB
 06 Long Ride.mp36.65 MB
 07 Gunfight At Moosejaw.mp36.91 MB
 08 Kid Hoover.mp36.07 MB
 09 Again.mp34.72 MB
 10 Hobo.mp38.92 MB
 01 Good Rockin' Tonight.mp37.17 MB
 02 Barefootin'.mp36.53 MB
 03 Matchbox.mp37.51 MB
 04 C.C. Rider.mp37.67 MB
 06 Crawfish.mp39.22 MB
 07 Feel So Bad.mp38.23 MB
 08 The Train of Love.mp35.71 MB
 09 My Heart Belongs To You.mp36.12 MB
 12 I Wish I Knew How It Would.mp37.37 MB
 13 Shake, Rattle And Roll.mp37.07 MB
 good_rockin_tonight.jpg49.26 KB
 02 Empty Club Blues.mp38.94 MB
 04 If you live.mp37.51 MB
 06 Peace In The Valley.mp38.46 MB
 07 Caldonia.mp35.15 MB
 08 I Believe to My Soul.mp38.6 MB
 09 Who Can I Turn to.mp37.15 MB
 10 St. Louis Blues.mp38.81 MB
 blues_from_the_north.jpg45.19 KB
 01 Lontoo.mp36.94 MB
 02 Tyhjää.mp34.3 MB
 03 Rakkaudelta näyttää hitto vie.mp36.64 MB
 04 Vanha holvikirkko.mp36.1 MB
 05 Uhkapeluri.mp35.99 MB
 06 Olen yksin.mp37.19 MB
 07 Jokeri.mp34.54 MB
 08 Unta en saa.mp37.15 MB
 09 Viidakko-Jim.mp38.01 MB
 10 Epäilet vain.mp37.8 MB
 01 Etsikko.mp39.55 MB
 02 Ne.mp310.49 MB
 03 Kurkopoika.mp38.35 MB
 04 Juokse juokse juokse.mp313.75 MB
 05 Voi ryyni.mp316.46 MB
 06 Lupaan vannon.mp311.91 MB
 07 Herää kysymys.mp315.44 MB
 08 Maali.mp32.56 MB
 09 Rotox robotti.mp37.22 MB
 10 Alan keisari.mp37.23 MB

Description

Eero Raittinen started a solo career in 1966 with the single "Lontoo / Tyhjää". The a-side was a tribute to the swingin' city of London, originally made by Peter Rolfe. "Tyhjää" was Little Peggy March's anti-war song "I Will Follow Him".

For the next single, the sight was turned to Sweden. The Swedish 1968 Eurovision Song Contest entry, Claes-Göran Hedenström's "Det börjar likna kärlek, banne mig" was chosen as the A-side, and Lenne Broberg's "Mälarökyrkan" was put to the flipside. The A-side was moderately popular, but it was the B-side, translated as "Vanha holvikirkko", that proved the real smash hit. The song about a cantor's boy who longs to follow his father's footsteps and enamour everyone with his music, and secretly practices in the church when no one hears, became an evergreen that's still played regularly on radio.

Some people seem to miss the version of Pekka Streng's drug trip song "Sisältäni portin löysin", released as a single by Tasavallan Presidentti in 1972 when Eero was in the band. Here it is!

Some songs are missing from this post, namely the single "Siitä vaan / Unohduksen kujalla" (1968), the song "Sen tietää kyllä saat" from the Eero / Kristian split-LP "Toinen puoli" (1968), "Mä luulen niin, on aika mennä kotiin" from the b-side of "Epäilet vain" single (I have it, but it's in such a bad shape that I decided to leave it out), and the songs "Toccata" and "Pois" from the aforementioned "Trio" LP.

1. Lontoo (London)
(D. Webb - J. Keth - Jussi Raittinen)
2. Tyhjää (Empty)
(Peggy March - Esa Pethman - Jussi Raittinen)
3. Rakkaudelta näyttää, hitto vie (Looks Like Love, Dammit)
(P. Himmelstrand - Saukki)
4. Vanha holvikirkko (The Old Vault Church)
(S. Lindahl - Saukki)
5. Uhkapeluri (Gambler)
(Bacalov - Continielo - B. Zambrini - Saukki)
6. Olen yksin (I'm Alone)
(T. Macaulay - J. MacLeod - Lehmus)
7. Jokeri (Joker)
(Leslie Bricusse - Anthony Newley - Aarno Raninen)
8. Unta en saa (I Can't Get Any Sleep)
(L. Pilat - M. Panzeri - D. Pace - L. Savinainen)
9. Viidakko-Jim
- The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill - (Lennon - McCartney - Juha Vainio)
10. Epäilet vain
- Suspicious Minds - (M. James - Jussi Raittinen)
11. Mars mars vaan (Just March On)
(J. Dean - Ojapuu - Vexi Salmi)
12. Toivotaan, toivotaan (Let's Hope, Let's Hope)
(J. Fontana - C. Pes - F. Migliacci - Pertti Reponen)
13. Joskus näin, joskus ei (Sometimes Like This, Sometimes Not)
(J. Taylor - Pertti Reponen)
14. Sisältäni portin löysin (I Found a Gate From Inside of Me)
(Pekka Streng)

While Jussi Raittinen had a field day with his Jussi & The Boys band and their successful records, brother Eero walked a path filled with rocks with his own solo career. A few fine pop hits in the late 60's - early 70's like "Vanha holvikirkko", "Rakkaudelta näyttää, hitto vie" and "Toivotaan, toivotaan", and the excellent blues album "Eeron elpee" aka "Blues From the North" (1968) remained his only commercially successful virtues.

Eero chose a very ambitious path when he formed his own band Rotox in 1975. He chose top musicians for himself: rock'n'roll pianist Hillel Tokazier, drummer Upi Sorvali, bassist Uppe Siitonen and guitarist Eero Lupari. Rotox played ambitious, almost overblown boogie, debuting with the single "Rotox robotti / Alan keisari". On the b-side, Eero spewed forth his bitterness, announcing that he's not a nobody, and that he'll show everyone by becoming an international star and then returning to Finland to take revenge on everyone in the music business who put him down. Hey, being a little humble wouldn't have hurt!

Rotox's sole LP "Etsikko" (1976) is a theme album about meritocracy, telling the viewpoints of various people who either keep trying but always fail, or lose once and give up trying. The lyrics range from depressed to angry to cynical, but the message stays clear: this competitive world we live in is too much to handle for those who basically just want to enjoy life and take everything easy.

The music is top class, with complex and often long songs filled with instrumental jamming that don't necessarily have any other function than to show off the skills of the musicians and the level of Eero's ambition. In fact, as great as "Etsikko" is production-wise, you get the feeling that just like some of the characters he sings about, Eero Raittinen tries too hard and ultimately fails. "Etsikko" didn't sell a great deal, and the band dissolved from lack of gigs.

But don't dismiss this record too hard. I love it, and though it's probably too much to chew on repeated listenings, "Etsikko" tells about subject matters I can easily relate to. I feel like I'm one of these characters on this album.

The front cover is more Raz lunacy. The post includes an extra large cover scan for you to enjoy, because of all the little details that get lost in smaller size.

Etsikko (1976):

1. Etsikko (Searching Time)
2. Ne (They)
3. Kurkopoika (Loudmouth Boy)
4. Juokse, juokse, juokse... (Run, Run, Run...)
5. Voi ryyni! (Aw Shucks!)
6. Lupaan, vannon (I Promise, I Swear)
7. Herää kysymys? (A Question Arises?)
8. Maali (Goal)

Bonus single:

9. Rotox robotti (Rotox the Robot)
10. Alan keisari (Emperor of This Business)

Rotox evolved into Ball, who managed to put out two singles: "Ballgame / Leaving (For a New Land)" (1977) and "Busker / Frida's Bank" (1978). Lineup was:

Eero Raittinen: vocals
Nono Söderberg: guitar
Henrik Hilden: drums
Kaj Södersröm: bass, organ, vocals
Hillel Tokazier: piano

"Ballgame" is the better of these two 45's, and the b-side is particularly great. "Busker" is a little weaker, it feels like Eero had given up trying too hard and was now more down-to-earth.

1. Ballgame
2. Leaving (For a New Land)
3. Busker
4. Frida's Bank

With new men Måns Groundstroem on bass and Tomi Parkkonen on drums, Ball became Boxcar, and under the production of Richard Stanley, they cut the album "Necktie Party" (1978). This, too, was a thematic album, about a Finnish immigrant in 19th century wild west calling himself Kid Hoover. He desperately tries to find a place in society, but ends up being a criminal, outlaw, and fugitive.

The music is now American-style down-to-earth rock. The second Ball single "Busker" received new lyrics and was rechristened "Kid Hoover".

I remember that when I read about this album many years ago, I had a particular idea about what the record might sound like, and ended up a little disappointed when I found and bought a vinyl copy. "Take Me Back", "Hobo" and "The Fugitive" come closest to what I originally thought I would hear here. Of course the LP quickly grew on me, and it's stayed with me all these years. Well, sort of... I don't have the LP here where I live, it's in my parents' place and as I rarely visit them, it's remained in their record shelf for years now. So I don't have proper artwork to give you, only an image I scanned from a CD.

Yep, "Necktie Party", the "Ballgame / Leaving (For a New Land)" single and most of Eero's and Hillel Tokazier's rock'n'roll duet album "Good Rockin' Tonight" (1974) (excluding three tracks) was crammed on a single CD last year. What a silly re-release policy! Why not give "Good Rockin' Tonight" its own CD, and put BOTH Ball singles as bonus on the Boxcar CD?

Oh well, forgive me my ranting and dig into the music.

Necktie Party (1978):

1. Traveller
2. Desert Sand
3. Hard Time
4. Take Me Back
5. Greenhorn Kid
6. Long Ride
7. Gunfight At Moosejaw
8. Kid Hoover
9. Again
10. Hobo
11. Holed Up
12. Necktie Party
13. The Fugitive

Eero Raittinen's second solo single "Rakkaudelta näyttää, hitto vie / Vanha holvikirkko" (1968) was such a big hit (especially the b-side) that as a reward he was greeted with the opportunity to record an LP of whatever music he wanted. His choice was a collection of blues tunes. Eero selected his old backing band Help to play on the album. They consisted of Jukka Tolonen, Heikki Virtanen, Vesa Aaltonen and Hillel Tokazier, and they play on about half of the songs. Jazz man Eero Koivistoinen's group and DDT Jazzband also do their best on several tracks.

In other words, the musicians were top class, and the record, which originally was christened "Eeron elpee" (Eero's LP) and released in 1970, has remained Eero's best artistic achievement. The sad thing is, that the record was ruined with a plain black sleeve with only Eero's autograph decorating it. The LP was hardly even marketed, so sales figures were poor. I haven't even seen the original pressing anywhere, but luckily in 1977 the album was released again with a different title and sleeve: "Blues From the North", which was also the title of the original 1970 cassette version.

I don't have this re-release either in my possession, but I do have the seven songs that have been released on compilation CD's.

2. Empty Club Blues
4. If You Live
6. (There'll Be) Peace in the Valley (For Me)
7. Caldonia
8. I Believe to My Soul
9. Who Can I Turn to
10. St. Louis Blues

Personnel:

Eero Raittinen: vocals
Eero Koivistoinen: alto sax (1, 2, 4, 9 and 11)
Seppo Paakkunainen: baritone sax (1 and 11)
Juhani Aaltonen: tenor sax (1 and 11)
Mike Koskinen: trumpet (1 and 11)
Jukka Tolonen: guitar (1, 3, 7, 8, 11 and 12)
Heikki Virtanen: bass (1, 3, 7, 8, 11 and 12)
Hillel Tokazier: piano (1, 6 and 11)
Vesa Aaltonen: drums (1, 3, 7, 8, 11 and 12)
Nono Söderberg: guitar (2, 4)
Pentti Hietanen: organ (2), piano (4, 9)
Pekka Sarmanto: bass (2, 4 and 9)
Reino Laine: drums (2, 4 and 9)
Downtown Dixie Tigers (5 and 10)
Albert Järvinen: guitar (10)

Another record I wish to find someday is the rhythm'n'blues / boogie album "Good Rockin' Tonight" (1976) that Eero quickly tossed off, working with his trusty companion, boogie pianist Hillel Tokazier. I've only heard the cassette version, and that was many, many years ago. However, I do have 10 of the 13 songs here, so the loss isn't that great. This album compiles songs that both used to perform on their club gigs, all old rock and R&B standards. No need for further introductions, just look at the tracklisting.

1. Good Rockin' Tonight
2. Barefootin'
3. Matchbox
4. C.C. Rider
6. Crawfish
7. Feel So Bad
8. Train of Love
9. My Heart Belongs to You
12. I Wish I Knew How
13. Shake, Rattle and Roll

http://finnishrock.blogspot.com/2008/05/eero-and-jussi-raittinen-singles.html

http://finnishrock.blogspot.com/2008/08/rotox.html