H.P. Lovecraft & August Derleth - The Watchers Out of Time

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on April 15, 2016 by hezbelshaitanin Books > Fiction
Torrent verified.

H.P. Lovecraft & August Derleth - The Watchers Out of Time (Size: 1.35 MB)
 read me.txt211 bytes
 Watchers_out_of_time.jpg23.34 KB
 H.P. Lovecraft & August Derleth - The Watchers Out of Time.pdf1.33 MB

Description

Ye Nameless Contents:
Foreword, by April Derleth
The Survivor
Wentworth's Day
The Peabody Heritage
The Gable Window
The Ancestor
The Shadow out of Space
The Lamp of Alhazred
The Shuttered Room
The Fisherman of Falcon Point
Witches' Hallow
The Shadow in the Attic
The Dark Brotherhood
The Horror from the Middle Span
Innsmouth Clay
THE WATCHERS OUT OF TIME

The history of the writing of these tales needs to be published. Efforts are being made, particularly by the amazing John D Haefele -- but the task is an enormous one and will require much work and a long length of time. This hardcover edition from Arkham House is the best edition of these books, and one wishes that the House would reprint it. It will noted on the image of the front cover here at Amazon that Derleth never printed Lovecraft's name larger or more prominently than his own. I wish now that I could remember what so annoy'd me about the foreword written by Derleth's daughter -- but it so annoy'd me that I ripped it from the book. I think it was comments in which she insinuated that Derleth was a normal, regular guy and that Lovecraft was an infantile freak. Derleth was the real freak, which is one of the reasons I so admire him, being a wee bit of a freak meself.

This collection is a work of PASTICHE and the stories were written to be acknowledge as such, just as Derleth's Solar Pons books were written as clear pastiche of the Sherlock Holmes canon. I feel that they were begun in earnest seriousness, not only as homage to the genius of H. P. Lovecraft, but in an attempt to write authentic pastiche in Lovecraft's style and fictive voice. They sometimes come close, and these stories are indeed extremely well written -- Derleth was a solid professional in his abilities as author.

"The Survivor" originally sold to WEIRD TALES, but it is one of only two of the stories that had their initial publication in magazines -- the rest first saw publication in books published by Derleth via Arkham House. "The Survivor" remains one of the finest Lovecraftian stories written by someone other than Lovecraft. Its fatal flaw is that Derleth dragged in mention of the Cthulhu Mythos into the tale, for no good reason. Had he not done so, this story would have stood as an excellent example of a tale of Lovecraftian horror that is not a Cthulhu Mythos story in any way. People sometimes forget that there is a different between Lovecraft horror and the Mythos.

When we get to "The Shadow out of Space," things get rather awful, for the story has no originality whatsoever, and is merely one big ripoff of other things that Lovecraft had written. It is pure plagiarism. Then, with "The Shuttered Room," plagiarism is combined with utter stupidity -- this stupid stupid story is one awful ripoff of "The Dunwich Horror." One is almost tempted to guess that Derleth cranked it out spur-of-the-moment for the book he was editing of Lovecraftian marginalia etc., THE SHUTTERED ROOM AND OTHER PIECES. (And yet that book also includes one of the finer of the fake collaborations, "The Fisherman of Falcon Point.")

The "crime" of these stories is that they have Lovecraft's name added to them, and thus H. P. Lovecraft the writer is often criticized or dismissed because of the weaknesses of stories in which he had no hand. As tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, they are fine stories, enjoyable light reading. As such they should be judged.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.35 MB
seeders:1
leechers:0
H.P. Lovecraft & August Derleth - The Watchers Out of Time