Hatriot - Dawn Of The New Centurion (2014) [Gorgatz]

seeders: 9
leechers: 2
Added on February 21, 2014 by Gorgatzin Music > Mp3
Torrent verified.

Hatriot - Dawn Of The New Centurion (2014) [Gorgatz] (Size: 116.49 MB)
 06. Silence in the House of the Lord.mp316.78 MB
 03. The Fear Within.mp316.56 MB
 08. Dawn of the New Centurion.mp316.16 MB
 05. Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious.mp312.52 MB
 01. My Cold Dead Hands.mp312.41 MB
 09. Consolation for the Insane.mp311.6 MB
 04. Honor in the Rise and Fall.mp311.3 MB
 02. Your Worst Enemy.mp310.19 MB
 07. World Funeral.mp38.65 MB
 Cover.jpg345.18 KB

Description

Hatriot - Dawn Of The New Centurion (2014) [Gorgatz]

- I N F O -

In a time when thrash feels increasingly tired and done-to-death, I was happily surprised by Hatriot‘s 2013 debut, Heroes of Origin. Helmed by semi-legendary thrash vocalist Steve “Zetro” Souza (ex-early Testament, ex-Exodus), the band strip mined the riff vaults of classic Exodus and spewed out a vicious, angry disc of poser killing speed with an enormous 80s feel and only the slightest of nods to the past 20 years in musical advancement. It had a classic “fuck you if you don’t like it” attitude and it felt like an crusty old wardog returning to show the youngins how it’s done. Barely a year later and they’re back with the follow up, Dawn of the New Centurion and it’s more of the same speed, anger and Exodus theft. But, is it as refreshing and fun? Well, no. It’s still good, but in Exodus speak; if Heroes of Origin was their Fabulous Disaster, this is their Impact is Imminent. What’s that? You don’t speak Exodus? Well then read on.

There are some real ragers here, just as on the debut. Opener “Cold Dead Hands” is a vicious assault that channels more pure thrash than most retro thrashers can muster and Zetro sounds positively savage as he rants against or for gun rights (I can’t quite tell which) over slashing riffs. “Your Worst Enemy” sounds like a pissed off hybrid of Exodus and David Wayne era Metal Church and it’s sure to please the need for speed set. Also rather nasty and speedy are “Silence in the House of the Lord” and “World Funeral,” all could have appeared on the debut and fit right in (though I’m not sold on the chanty chorus of the former).

Hatriot_2014Particularly impressive is the lengthy “The Fear Within” which starts off with the album’s best riffing, which takes the form of classy, traditional, nearly NWoBHM leads before finally giving way to thrash insanity with highly syncopated and enjoyable vocal patterns. Less awesome, but still decent are cuts like “Honor in the Rise and Fall” (fairly generic with annoying gang-shouts offset by a plethora of wild solos) and the title track, which is so Exodus in riff and structure, it should violate some sort of trademark law.

Then there are the duds, which Heroes of Origin managed to avoid. “Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious” is perhaps the lamest song title ever attempted and the fact they tried to thrash up a song from Mary Poppins may be the funniest, most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a good long time. It’s fantastically dumb and silly and it’s essentially the album’s “Toxic Waltz” and even borrows the same riffing style and tempo from that ancient chesnut. But I knew Mr. Waltz, and this sir is NO “Toxic Waltz.” It kills the album’s intensity, but I give them points for chanting “free Pussy Riot” as the song winds down (for whatever reason). Also underwhelming is album closer “Consolation for the Insane,” which is fast and furious, but feels entirely too generic and flat, even though Zetro sounds greatly riled up throughout.

ZetroAs on the debut, Zetro sounds born again in a madhouse. Toward the end of his run with Exodus, I thought he sounded dragged out and bored, but those days are no more and here he sounds rabid and totally unhinged. Since this is old school thrash, those vocals really need to be backed up by big, meaty riffs and for the mos part, they are. New axe slinger Justin Cole steps in for Miquel Esparza and along with the returning Kosta V, they throw down their fair share of bruising thrash riffs from a bygone era (of Exodus). I think the debut had more quality riffs overall and the ones here are more susceptible to feeling rehashed and generic, but they partially offset that with way more ripping solos that really let loose with satisfyingly frenzied noodling.

I was looking forward to this and though it’s a bit of a letdown, it’s still an enjoyable slice of vintage 80s thrash brought to you by a man who knows the territory better than most. I’m happy Zetro and his unmerry crew are making a go of this project and as long as they keep thrashing like its 1986, I’ll keep checking them out. I don’t always listen to mid-period Exodus, but when I do, it’s frequently Hatriot.

Steve “Zetro” Souza and colleagues are back, hot on the heels of their impressive debut opus Heroes Of Origin (2013) which blew me away. And I’m more than happy to report that Hatriot’s second slab of burning metal, Dawn Of The New Centurion, is another thrash feast of crushing riffs, pounding drums and infectious songs sure to rip your face off.

However, this time round – if it was at all possible – Hatriot are even more ferocious, lacerating flesh and severing bone with opening assault ‘From My Cold Dead Hands’ in which Zetro sounds like a man possessed as his noticeable rasp takes on even more aggression, and is accompanied by some deathly sneers too as the twin guitar attack of Kosta Varvatakis and Justin Cole annihilates all in its wake.

The great thing about Hatriot is that we have an intriguing combination of Zetro’s experience and the energy of the young guns around him, particularly Cody and Nick Souza who are keeping the thrash firmly in the family as they churn out impressive bass and percussion respectively.

‘From My Cold Dead Hands’ is a volatile composition, beginning with classic metal orchestration comprised of whining guitars and tumbling drums before it morphs into a platter of fury, belligerence and hostility. ‘Your Worst Enemy’ begins with a shuddering bass-line, but then rushes headlong as a destructive thrash torrent of raging drums and snarling vocals of intent.

Yes, Hatriot are still of that 80s thrash ilk, but it slots so effortlessly into the modern climate because it’s so effective and rampant. Those detractors who felt that the death of thrash was signalled by the rise of the recent revivalists should look no further than Hatriot who’ve not resorted to modern dynamics in their quest for thrash domination.

Dawn Of The New Centurion is classic thrash from its bones to its flesh, featuring excellent melody which rises from the chords of chaos and percussive panic. The maturity of the Oakland, California-based band shines through with the epic strains of ‘The Fear Within’, which begins as a traditional metal gallop of glossy chugs and stony drums. It’s the most accessible and slowest track on the opus, boasting subtle touches of caressing guitar and melodic framework, and is sewn together with some fantastic solos and aching harmony before its final pugnacious rattle.

‘Honor The Rise And Fall’ begins in a similar vein, echoing Metallica at their most reflective as the guitars rise from the ashes, allowing the track to develop as a mid-paced cruncher until Zetro’s hideous introduction, taking the track into speedier depths.

The bass once again becomes king on ‘Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious’ with its tongue-in-cheek aggression and Exodus-styled melody. This is pure moshing madness, a sure-fire winner when it comes to prompting the crowds into frenzy. Hatriot are tighter than ever as they knit together stirring chords and solid percussion, evoking images of Metallica circa Ride The Lightning (1984). As expected, Zetro is a true maniac on the mic, frothing, sneering and spewing out those lyrics like some politician of the perverse or toxic narrator hell-bent on world domination.

‘Silence In The House Of The Lord’ is another seven-minute heart-pounder running on classic thrash gas, exuding menace and swagger, but the real punishing allure of this record lies with the charging vengeance of ‘World Funeral’ – with its earthy gang chants – and the brooding, bruising title track.

‘Dawn Of The New Centurion’ is another where Zetro rules as the master of all thrash vocalists. His style has never changed, meaning that the band merely shift around his expressions of hate and wit, resulting in throbbing segments of aggression which are rarely bettered by anyone within the field.

The closing track of this opus is ‘Consolation For The Insane’, which is another pummelling cacophony of blazing guitars, racing drums and cantankerous bass, and is rounded off by the angry yelps of Zetro who sounds like he could start an argument in an empty room!

I’ll say it time and time again about Hatriot; forget the pretenders, because these guys are the real deal when it comes to thrash metal vehemence. This has everything any real thrash fan craves in a thrash metal record, and it spits venom throughout. Maybe, just maybe, it’s time to let go of those old thrash metal albums that you never thought could be better, because Hatriot’s sophomore slab signals the dawn of a new beast.

Just when you think he has gone gently into that good night, Steve "Zetro" Souza and his razor sharp, disgust laden voice pierces your ears in the most intrusive of ways. Is he back with Exodus? Ummm no !! Oh it must be new Dublin Death Patrol right ? Nope not DDP! Behold the arrival of Hatriot and their offering of Dawn of the New Centurion. Zetro has stood the test of time , and helped pioneer thrash metal to the masses in his early days in The Bay Area scene. He has grown and evolved throughout the years and always adapted his style with a modern approach. This time he has reinvented himself with Hatriot. The band is infused with young blood that are hungry and ready to beat your ass!

Dawn of the New Centurion is without a doubt thrash record, but more than a thrash record. It has a heaviness that is intertwined throughout that I can not remember being associated with pure thrash metal. Don't get me wrong, there are still blazing , lightning fast leads all over the record , thrown down by up and coming shred master Kosta V. There is melody throughout the entire offering, and masterful playing by the entire band. The band takes a no holds barred, take no prisoners, aggressive approach that comes to light as the album progresses.The drums crush you like an out of control tank hellbent on destroying everything in its path. A precise, deliberate, and crushing pace is set from the beginning of the record on the opening track "My Cold Dead Hands", and continues through album closer "Consolation For The Insane".

Overall, I give this album a 10 out of 10, and although it is very early in the year, Dawn of the New Centurion will be in contention for album of the year in 2014.The Bay Area sound is still here. It is old school principles and ideology, fused with modern aggression, production, and themes. What can you say about Zetro that hasn't been said already. The man is a beast and gets better with each piece of recorded evidence. If Dawn of the New Centurion was a mission statement, the statement of Hatriot would be be quite clear.....Devistation

Line Up:
Cody Souza - Bass (2010-present) (ex-Oskorei)
Kosta V. - Guitars (2010-present)
Steve "Zetro" Souza - Vocals (2010-present) (Dublin Death Patrol, ex-Tenet, AC/DZ, ex-Exodus, ex-Testament, ex-Legacy, ex-F-Bomb, ex-Metal Warrior)
Nick Souza - Drums (2012-present) (ex-Oskorei)
Justin Cole - Guitars (2013-present)

- T R A C K L I S T -

01. From My Cold Dead Hands
02. Your Worst Enemy
03. The Fear Within
04. Honor the Rise and Fall
05. Superkillafragsadisticactsaresoatrocious
06. Silence in the House of the Lord
07. World Funeral
08. Dawn of the New Centurion
09. Consolation for the Insane

Format: 320 mp3