Homo Ludens (Latin for "Man, the Gamer") by Johan Huizingautledge [1949] [XBT]

seeders: 4
leechers: 6
Added on December 27, 2014 by xbtin Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Homo Ludens (Latin for "Man, the Gamer") by Johan Huizingautledge [1949] [XBT] (Size: 3.59 MB)
 Homo Ludens by Johan Huizingautledge [1949].pdf3.59 MB

Description

Homo Ludens is Latin for "Man, the Gamer", or "Man, the Player" and discusses how playing games hold an important role in being a human.

Here is the wikipedia article on the book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo_Ludens_(book)

And here is the foreward[sic] (intro) to the book:
"A HAPPIER age than ours once made bold to call our species by the name of Homo Sapiens. In the course of time we have come to realize that we are not so reasonable after all as the Eighteenth Century, with its worship of reason and its naive optimism, thought us; hence modern fashion inclines to designate our species as Homo Faber: Man the Maker. But thoughfaber may not be quite so dubious as sapiens it is, as a name specific of the human being, even less appropriate, seeing that many animals too are makers.

There is a third function, however, applicable to both human and animal life, and just as important as reasoning and making­ namely, playing. It seems to me that next to Homo Faber, and perhaps on the same level as Homo Sapiens, Homo Ludens, Man the Player, deserves a place in our nomenclature.

It is ancient wisdom, but it is also a little cheap, to call all human activity "play". Those who are willing to content them­ selves with a metaphysical conclusion of this kind should not read this book. Nevertheless, we find no reason to abandon the notion of play as a distinct and highly important factor in the world's life and doings. For many years the conviction has grown upon me that civilization arises and unfolds in and as play. Traces of such an opinion are to be found in my writings ever since 19°3.

I took it as the theme for my annual address as Rector of Leyden University in 1933, and afterwards for lectures in Zurich, Vienna and London, in the last instance under the title: "The Play Element of Culture". Each time my hosts wanted to correct it to " in" Culture, and each time I protested and clung to the genitive, * because it was not my object to define the place of play among all the other manifestations of culture, but rather to ascertain how far culture itself bears the character of play. The aim of the present full-length study is to try to integrate the concept of play into that of culture. Consequently, play is to be understood here not as a biological phenomenon but as a cultural phenomenon. It is approached historically, not scientifically. The reader will find that I have made next to no use of any psycho logical interpretations of play however important these may be, and that I have employed anthropological terms and explanations but sparingly, even where I have had to quote ethnological facts.

He will find no nlention of mana and the like, and hardly any of magic. Were I compelled to put my argument tersely in the form of theses, one of them would be that anthropology and its sister sciences have so far laid too little stress on the concept of play and on the supreme importance to civilization of the play-factor. The reader of these pages should not look for detailed docu­ mentation of every word. In treating of the general problems of culture one is constantly obliged to undertake predatory incursions into provinces not sufficiently explored by the raider himself. To fill in all the gaps in my knowledge beforehand was out of the question for me. I had to write now, or not at all. And I wanted to write."

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
3.59 MB
seeders:4
leechers:6
Homo Ludens (Latin for "Man, the Gamer") by Johan Huizingautledge [1949] [XBT]