How Animals Grieve - King, B.J. (2013).epub

seeders: 0
leechers: 0
Added on July 26, 2013 by Tybiein Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

How Animals Grieve - King, B.J. (2013).epub (Size: 2.11 MB)
 How Animals Grieve - King, B.J. (2013).epub2.11 MB

Description

Book Description
Publication Date: March 21, 2013
From the time of our earliest childhood encounters with animals, we casually ascribe familiar emotions to them. But scientists have long cautioned against such anthropomorphizing, arguing that it limits our ability to truly comprehend the lives of other creatures. Recently, however, things have begun to shift in the other direction, and anthropologist Barbara J. King is at the forefront of that movement, arguing strenuously that we can—and should—attend to animal emotions. With How Animals Grieve, she draws our attention to the specific case of grief, and relates story after story—from fieldsites, farms, homes, and more—of animals mourning lost companions, mates, or friends.

King tells of elephants surrounding their matriarch as she weakens and dies, and, in the following days, attending to her corpse as if holding a vigil. A housecat loses her sister, from whom she's never before been parted, and spends weeks pacing the apartment, wailing plaintively. A baboon loses her daughter to a predator and sinks into grief. In each case, King uses her anthropological training to interpret and try to explain what we see—to help us understand this animal grief properly, as something neither the same as nor wholly different from the human experience of loss.

The resulting book is both daring and down-to-earth, strikingly ambitious even as it’s careful to acknowledge the limits of our understanding. Through the moving stories she chronicles and analyzes so beautifully, King brings us closer to the animals with whom we share a planet, and helps us see our own experiences, attachments, and emotions as part of a larger web of life, death, love, and loss.

Review
"A beautifully written book that will appeal to animal lovers."
(Booklist)

“Barbara J. King has pulled together anecdotal and scientific data on grief and love in animals in her excellent book How Animals Grieve. With her engaging story telling she opens up our eyes to the possible inner lives of some surprising species. We expect big-brained chimpanzees and elephants to express their feelings, but her tales of rabbits, goats, birds, turtles and others force us to look again at the emotional content of animal lives.”
(Cynthia Moss, author of Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Ele)

“Poignant, thoughtful, and sometimes heartbreaking. King once again elevates the discussion of animal emotion. She tackles a tricky subject with a scientist's care and an animal lover's grace.”
(Jennifer Holland, author of Unlikely Friendships)

"I must admit that I was skeptical that an entire book could be written on the subject of animal grief, because the scientific literature in this area is so painfully thin. But Barbara King has succeeded beautifully. She has collected an incredible database of stories about various kinds of animals, and taken together they offer more than enough substance to sustain this book. It is as if she has created a mosaic for her reader. She has collected bits and pieces--individual stories about one animal or another--which by themselves might be little but trifles. But King pastes them together with masterful skill, and the result is a compelling picture of animal grief. We get the feeling that there are still a lot of blank spaces on the canvas, as our scientific understanding is far from complete, but it is only a matter of time before these spaces will begin to fill in. How Animals Grieve is a fascinating book which will interest and inform animal lovers and scientists alike."
(Jessica Pierce, author of The Last Walk)

"In this deeply moving and beautifully composed treatise that is sure to anger some, but inspire many, Barbara King methodically presents her powerful evidence that many animals possess thoughts, feelings and emotions, including the profound sense of loss following the death of a family member or close companion. Consider, for example, the female dolphin who carries her dead calf for several days, loath to part with her beloved child. What else is she doing but grieving? It might be a controversial, minority viewpoint that some animals mourn the death of others, but King's profound and well-documented work has left me firmly in her camp."
(David Kirby, author of Death at Sea World)

"Humans and other animals experience love and fear, and form deep emotional bonds with cherished companions. We mourn when a close friend dies, and so do other animals, as Barbara King's poignant book illustrates in compelling detail. How Animals Grieve helps us to connect and to better understand the complex social lives of other animals and of ourselves." (Gene Baur, president and cofounder of Farm Sanctuary)

"Let me begin by saying I recommend this book to anyone who doubts that animals grieve. The evidence presented is overwhelming."
(EcoLit)

"How Animals Grieve is not the definitive work on animal grief, but rather a stepping-stone to further investigation, observation and understanding. King hopes others will continue to look with fresh eyes, expand our knowledge and better understand all animals."
(Shelf Awareness)

"Admirably, carefully, and cautiously reviews and synthesizes a topic that is of great interest to numerous people, including those who are fortunate enough to live with nonhuman companions, those who are lucky enough to study them, and those who are interested in other animals for a wide variety of reasons."
(Marc Bekoff Psychology Today)
About the Author
Barbara J. King is professor of anthropology at the College of William and Mary. She is the author or editor of many books, including Being with Animals. She blogs regularly for National Public Radio and reviews for the Times Literary Supplement.

Hardcover: 208 pages
Publisher: University Of Chicago Press (March 21, 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0226436942
ISBN-13: 978-0226436944

Biography
I'm a wife, mom, animal lover, cat rescuer, ape-watcher, anthropologist, avid reader of novels and non-fiction, and of course writer! I love my work and how close it brings me to other species, ranging from gorillas and baboons to cats and turtles.

In recent years I've brought together my love of animals and my love of anthropology in writing books about what it means to be human. My recent book BEING WITH ANIMALS tells stories of emotions and behaviors expressed by apes, monkeys, elephants, whales, cats, and dogs to explore why we humans so readily care so deeply for other creatures. It spans the art caves of ancient France, the past-and-present reindeer cultures of Siberia, and our own present-day love of pets.

At home, my husband Charlie, daughter Sarah (see photo where she is pictured with me!) and I care for a large number of homeless/abandoned cats: 7 in the house, 11 in a spacious pen in our yard, 2 strays that hang around with us, and 7 at a nearby colony. The joy we get from interacting with animals at home, in national parks throughout the US, and indeed anywhere we travel is a huge part of our lives.

Please visit my website http://www.barbarajking.com to listen to some of my radio interviews or to read back entries in my FRIDAY ANIMAL BLOG (new ones will be available each week at the blog link here on Amazon). I'd also love to hear your own animal stories through the contact page there.

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
2.11 MB
seeders:0
leechers:0
How Animals Grieve - King, B.J. (2013).epub

All Comments

Thanks a bunch :)
Great torrent file---Contains cover also---Easy to add metadata and transfer to Kindle, using Calibre---Thank You for the upload
Thank You!