John Barth - The Sot-Weed Factor [Kindle azw3]

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on August 9, 2015 by MisterGagain Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

John Barth - The Sot-Weed Factor [Kindle azw3] (Size: 1.84 MB)
 Cover.jpg60.81 KB
 metadata.opf2.89 KB
 The Sot-Weed Factor - John Barth.azw31.78 MB

Description

John Barth - The Sot-Weed Factor

If you've read the book, then you know exactly what I'm talking about and are probably doubled over in laughter just at the mention of it . . . if you haven't, well there's just one more reason to start reading this. Widely considered Barth's best novel (I'm very much a novice with him, this being only my second book so I'm no man to judge) I can easily see why it deserves such a status. A parody of historical novels, Barth writes the story in the style of that time so it seems like all those books your teachers made you read in high school, but better. The book is massive and concerns the various adventures of would-be poet Ebenezer Cooke, writer of the poem "The Sot-Weed Factor" as he becomes involved, willingly or otherwise, in more situations than any man should reasonably have to undertake. An attempts to summarize the plot are useless, it's too sprawling, people who want instant gratification will be at a loss here, this is a book you have to absorb over the course of a few days and get used to the style before it sinks in just how much fun it is. The characters play everything seriously, making the jokes (and there are plenty, with the funniest of a vulgar nature and often involving the story of Captain John Smith of Pocohantus fame) come off as utterly hilarious, but at the same time Barth manages to make you care just a little bit about them, as quirky as they are, they still come across as typically flawed human beings. Probably the best thing about the book is its sheer unpredictability, not shackled by the morals of the 16th century, anything and everything does happen, nobody is what they seem and situations shift gears so rapidly that it'll make your head spin even as you can't stop laughing

Publisher: Anchor; Anchor Books ed edition (September 18, 1987)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0385240880
ISBN-13: 978-0385240888

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.84 MB
seeders:1
leechers:0
John Barth - The Sot-Weed Factor [Kindle azw3]