Jonathan Maberry - Out of Tune [Kindle azw3]

seeders: 8
leechers: 4
Added on October 25, 2015 by MisterGagain Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Jonathan Maberry - Out of Tune [Kindle azw3] (Size: 11.65 MB)
 Cover.jpg701.09 KB
 metadata.opf2.19 KB
 Out of Tune - Jonathan Maberry.azw310.97 MB

Description

Jonathan Maberry - Out of Tune

This is an anthology themed on ballads, Child ballads and others. Someone once described a ballad as, "Stuff happens and someone dies." This anthology matches that encapsulation, with different takes on the process. And not _everyone_ dies. A whiff of magic swirls through the stories: sometimes boldly, sometimes subtly. Some stories include music, others are a riff on the same tale being told in another way. I think my favorite was "Driving Jenny Home," but all were good reading.

The anthology starts with "Wendy, Darling" by Christopher Golden, inspired by "The Cruel Mother." Wendy from Peter Pan, years later on the eve of her wedding, narrates a mood piece that reveals her back story in the same slow reveal that ballads often do.

"Sweet William's Ghost" by David Liss inspired by the named ballad. It is told by a rough, mysogynistic man who falls for Maggie, but the ballad is then played out.

"Black is the Color of my True Love's Hair" by Del Howison. It starts in a graveyard and ends there, with tragedy between.

"John Wayne's Dream" by Gary A. Braunbeck, inspired by "The Streets of Laredo" - one man coming to terms with his father's expectations.

"Bedlam" by Gregory Frost, inspired by "The Demon Lover", aka "House Carpenter". But the song that wends its way through the narrative is "Tom o'Bedlam." The writing is vivid and the story is brief and memorable.

"Awake" by Jack Ketchum, inspired by "Silver Dagger," is a brief peek inside one family.

"John Henry, the Steel-Drivin' Man" by Jeff Strand, was written for laughs.

Publisher: JournalStone (November 17, 2014)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 194016169X
ISBN-13: 978-1940161693

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
11.65 MB
seeders:8
leechers:4
Jonathan Maberry - Out of Tune [Kindle azw3]