Liz Kelly - May Crowning, Mass, and Merton: and Other Reasons I Love Being Catholic (EPUB, MOBI, PDF)

seeders: 2
leechers: 0
Added on May 8, 2016 by catholicstuffin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

Liz Kelly - May Crowning, Mass, and Merton: and Other Reasons I Love Being Catholic (EPUB, MOBI, PDF) (Size: 3.16 MB)
 May Crowning, Mass, and Merton - Elizabeth M. Kelly.pdf1.33 MB
 May Crowning, Mass, and Merton - Elizabeth M. Kelly.mobi1.29 MB
 May Crowning, Mass, and Merton - Elizabeth M. Kelly.epub550.17 KB

Description

In May Crowning, Mass, and Merton, Liz Kelly, a thirty-something writer and jazz singer, eagerly shares her ardent love for the Catholic faith. While the beliefs of the church are important to Kelly, her passion is really ignited by the holy people and places, the beloved rituals, and the rich spiritual traditions of this living faith. She celebrates them here, with wit, affection, and candor. Kelly has realized that “the litany of reasons to love being Catholic is extraordinary.” These include every­thing from the crucifix, kneelers, and Ash Wednesday to Flannery O’Connor, the Swiss Guard, and Tenebrae. Though she writes that, “Mine is not an extraordinary faith, so much as a faith growing a little messy, a little rough and subversive around the edges,” it is a rich, inspiring faith, celebrated by a fresh, young Catholic voice.

“Liz Kelly’s love of her Catholic faith is an inspiration. I highly recommend her wonderful book.” —Matthew Kelly, New York Times best-selling author of The Rhythm of Life

"Kelly, a writer and musician who works at Harvard University, explains and extols Catholicism's "many little traditions" in this paean to all that she loves about her faith. Starting with crucifixes, she cycles through Catholicism's favorite objects, people, devotions, truths and worship rhythms, describing how each anchors Catholics "not so much in this world, but oh so solidly in 'the next.' " Kelly acknowledges that the Catholic penchant for celebrating feasts, saints, significant moments, holy places and sacred objects makes devotees appear superstitious to outsiders. She holds that such things are not about magic but about "remembering and drawing on the rich, abundant experience that is the life of faith." What she loves about being Catholic, she writes, is the realization that she lives not just in the temporal world but in eternity. Kelly is most convincing when she writes from personal experience, sharing a story from her childhood about May Crowning ceremonies or holding forth on why she likes kneelers in churches. Her forays into the didactic are less engaging; for example, her essay on the rosary begins with a charming personal recollection, but ends with a rather lackluster description of the devotion. This book will mainly interest Catholics, especially those who embrace these devotional traditions." -- Publishers Weekly

If you enjoy this media, please purchase a physical copy to support the producers and share with friends and family.

image image image image

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
3.16 MB
seeders:2
leechers:0
Liz Kelly - May Crowning, Mass, and Merton: and Other Reasons I Love Being Catholic (EPUB, MOBI, PDF)