Mike Aquilina - A Year With The Church Fathers: Patristic Wisdom for Daily Living (EPUB, MOBI, PDF)

seeders: 1
leechers: 2
Added on March 19, 2016 by catholicstuffin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

Mike Aquilina - A Year With The Church Fathers: Patristic Wisdom for Daily Living (EPUB, MOBI, PDF) (Size: 3.84 MB)
 A Year With The Church Fathers - Mike Aquilina.pdf2.13 MB
 A Year With The Church Fathers - Mike Aquilina.mobi874.49 KB
 A Year With The Church Fathers - Mike Aquilina.epub878.01 KB

Description

Times change, but human nature does not. Neither do the daily struggles that all Christians experience in their walk with the Lord. Today as two thousand years ago we fight anger, pride, lust, spiritual sloth. Now as then we strive to be more diligent in prayer, more faithful to the commandments, more patient and charitable toward others. And in our time, no less than in the earliest centuries of Christianity, we need wise guidance to direct us on the road to holiness.

In A Year with the Church Fathers, popular Patristics expert Mike Aquilina gathers the wisest, most practical teachings and exhortations from the Fathers of the Church, and presents them in a format perfect for daily meditation and inspiration. The Fathers were the immediate inheritors of the riches of the Apostolic Age, and their intimacy with the revelation of Jesus Christ is beautifully evident throughout their theological and pastoral writings: a profound patrimony that is ours to read and cherish and profit from.

Learn to humbly accept correction from St. Clement of Rome. Let Tertullian teach you how to clear your mind before prayer. Read St. Gregory the Great and deepen your love for the Eucharist. Do you suffer from pain or illness? St. John Chrysostom's counsels will refresh you. Do you have trouble curbing your appetite for food and other fleshly things? St. John Cassian will teach you the true way to moderation and self-control.

A Year with the Church Fathers is different from a study guide, and more than a collection of pious passages. It is a year-long retreat that in just a few minutes every day will lead you on a cycle of contemplation, prayer, resolution, and spiritual growth that is guaranteed to bring you closer to God and His truth. From the Church Fathers we should expect nothing less.

Review

You've probably seen some advertisements for this book around the internet and in print. St. Benedict Press and Mike Aquilina have done a great job with this daily devotional.

I was just telling someone yesterday that I don't have much "need" for modern yet-to-be-approved private revelations because I haven't learned all I can from approved sources. The Church Fathers are one of those and this book is a great introduction to them.

Let's first of all judge it by the cover, which we are told never to do. We have here a very beautiful rendition of the highly flexible, soft, leather-feel, DuoTone/Ultrasoft material. It is comfortable to hold and the two-tone cover is a nice touch. If this were a Bible I would prefer a solid color. I don't know if this was intentional or not but the book has a near-semi-yapp cover on it. There is certainly a generous over hang. Intentional or not, it will help keep the guilt edges from getting marked up. The embossing on the cover is great as usual with S.B. Press.

You can see above there is a topic for the day, a short explanation, an excerpt from a Church Father, a short meditation, and a closing prayer. This may be a good way to begin the practice of mental prayer for ordinary Catholics. Not having read the whole thing yet, I can't vouch for all of the text but Mr. Aquilina is a well known and trusted apologist. I have his book "The Mass of the Early Christians" and enjoyed it. --Absolutely No Spin Blogspot

From the Back Cover

Immerse yourself in the wisest, most practical teachings and exhortations from the Fathers of the Church, presented in a format perfect for daily meditation and inspiration!

Learn from St. Clement of Rome how to accept correction. Let Tertullian teach you about prayer. Read St. Gregory the Great and deepen your love for the Eucharist. Follow St. John Cassian on the way to true moderation and self-control. St. John Crysostom's counsels will refresh you from pain and illness, and St. Augustine will keep your mind from straying during prayer.

A Year with the Church Fathers leads you through a daily retreat of contemplation, prayer, resolution and spirtual growth that makes the wisdom of the Fathers accessible like never before.

Profoundly moving and inspiring! Guaranteed to bring you close to God and His truth.

image image image image

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
3.84 MB
seeders:1
leechers:2
Mike Aquilina - A Year With The Church Fathers: Patristic Wisdom for Daily Living (EPUB, MOBI, PDF)