Richard Dawkins & Christopher Hitchens interview - New Statesman

seeders: 3
leechers: 0
Added on March 6, 2014 by Bindaredundatin Books
Torrent verified.

Richard Dawkins & Christopher Hitchens interview - New Statesman (Size: 6 MB)
 Dawkins and Hitchens.jpg39.38 KB
 New Statesman (info).txt4.14 KB
 New Statesman - 19 December 2011-01 January 2012 (Christmas Double Issue).jpg190.41 KB
 New Statesman - 19 December 2011-01 January 2012.pdf5.78 MB

Description

New Statesman - 19th December 2011 - 1st January 2012 (Christmas Double Issue)

2011 New Statesman Christmas special is guest-edited by Richard Dawkins. The issue also includes the Dawkins' interview with Christopher Hitchens. The other contributers of this issue are Sam Harris, Daniel C. Dennett, Philip Pullman, Carolyn Porco and Maryam Namazie.

Preview: Richard Dawkins interviews Christopher Hitchens
Exclusive extracts from the writer's final interview.
BY GEORGE EATON PUBLISHED 13 DECEMBER, 2011 - 13:11

Update: Christopher Hitchens has died of oesophageal cancer at the age of 62. This was his final interview.

As we revealed earlier this week, this year's New Statesman Christmas special is guest-edited by Richard Dawkins (copies can be purchased here). Among the many highlights is Dawkins's interview with his fellow anti-theist Christopher Hitchens, who began his Fleet Street career at the NS in 1973.

The great polemicist is currently undergoing treatment for stage IV oesophageal cancer ("there is no stage V," he notes) and now rarely makes public appearances but he was in Texas to receive the Freethinker of the Year Award from Dawkins in October. Before the event, the pair met in private to discuss God, religion and US politics. The resulting conversation can now be read exclusively in the New Statesman.

I'd recommend pouring yourself a glass of Johnnie Walker Black Label and reading all 5,264 words but, here, to whet your appetite, are some short extracts. As they show, though physically frail, Hitchens retains his remarkable mental agility.

"Never be afraid of stridency"
Richard Dawkins One of my main beefs with religion is the way they label children as a "Catholic child" or a "Muslim child". I've become a bit of a bore about it.
Christopher Hitchens You must never be afraid of that charge, any more than stridency.
RD I will remember that.

CH If I was strident, it doesn't matter - I was a jobbing hack, I bang my drum. You have a discipline in which you are very distinguished. You've educated a lot of people; nobody denies that, not even your worst enemies. You see your discipline being attacked and defamed and attempts made to drive it out.
Stridency is the least you should muster . . . It's the shame of your colleagues that they don't form ranks and say, "Listen, we're going to defend our colleagues from these appalling and obfuscating elements."

Fascism and the Catholic Church

RD The people who did Hitler's dirty work were almost all religious.

CH I'm afraid the SS's relationship with the Catholic Church is something the Church still has to deal with and does not deny.

RD Can you talk a bit about that - the relationship of Nazism with the Catholic Church?

CH The way I put it is this: if you're writing about the history of the 1930s and the rise of totalitarianism, you can take out the word "fascist", if you want, for Italy, Portugal, Spain, Czechoslovakia and Austria and replace it with "extreme-right Catholic party".
Almost all of those regimes were in place with the help of the Vatican and with understandings from the Holy See. It's not denied. These understandings quite often persisted after the Second World War was over and extended to comparable regimes in Argentina and elsewhere.

Hitchens on the left-right spectrum

RD I've always been very suspicious of the left-right dimension in politics.

CH Yes; it's broken down with me.

RD It's astonishing how much traction the left-right continuum [has] . . . If you know what someone thinks about the death penalty or abortion, then you generally know what they think about everything else. But you clearly break that rule.

CH I have one consistency, which is [being] against the totalitarian - on the left and on the right. The totalitarian, to me, is the enemy - the one that's absolute, the one that wants control over the inside of your head, not just your actions and your taxes. And the origins of that are theocratic, obviously. The beginning of that is the idea that there is a supreme leader, or infallible pope, or a chief rabbi, or whatever, who can ventriloquise the divine and tell us what to do.

File size: 6.06 MB
Format: pdf

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
6 MB
seeders:3
leechers:0
Richard Dawkins & Christopher Hitchens interview - New Statesman