Silenced by Paul Marshall

seeders: 4
leechers: 6
Added on March 16, 2014 by Bindaredundatin Books
Torrent verified.

Silenced by Paul Marshall (Size: 6.98 MB)
 metadata.opf1.44 KB
 Paul Marshall & Nina Shea - Silenced--How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom...701.56 KB
 Paul Marshall & Nina Shea - Silenced--How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom...1.14 MB
 Silenced (book cover 1).jpg42.6 KB
 Silenced (book cover 2).jpeg37.91 KB
 Silenced (book info).txt6.23 KB
 Silenced _ How Apostasy and Bla - Marshall, Paul.pdf5.07 MB

Description

Silenced: How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom Worldwide Hardcover
by Paul Marshall (Author) , Nina Shea (Author)

epub/mobi/pdf
File Size: 6.97 MB

The fatwa against Salman Rushdie awakened many westerners to the danger of being accused of blasphemy in the Muslim world. As this eye-opening volume reveals, accusations of "blasphemy," "apostasy," or "insulting Islam" are increasingly used by authoritarian governments and extremist forces in the Muslim world to acquire and consolidate power. These charges, which traditionally carry a punishment of death, have proved effective in intimidating not only converts and heterodox groups, but also political and religious reformers. In his foreword, the late Indonesian President Wahid observes that coercively applied blasphemy laws "narrow the bounds of acceptable discourse...not only about religion, but about vast spheres of life, literature, science and culture in general."

Silenced provides the first survey of such accusations in the contemporary Muslim world, in international organizations, and in the West. The authors describe hundreds of victims, including political dissidents, religious reformers, journalists, writers, artists, movie makers, and religious minorities throughout the Muslim world. They also document the political effects in Muslim societies of blasphemy and apostasy laws, as well as non-governmental fatwas and vigilante violence. Finally, they address the move toward new blasphemy laws in the West and the increasing threat of violence to stifle commentary on Islam in the West even in the absence of law.

Review

"Islamists, claiming they want only respect for their religion, are imposing brutal punishments for apostasy and blasphemy in the non-Muslim as well as the Muslim world. In this eloquent and definitive work Marshall and Shea make a powerful case that for us to accommodate this, anywhere, would be disastrous--weakening truly moderate Muslims and those of us who support them, and seriously crippling our own freedoms of speech and religion."-- R. James Woolsey, Chairman, Foundation for Defense of Democracies; Former Director of Central Intelligence

"The book offers an extensive survey of blasphemy and its effects on Muslim societies and individuals, with a consideration of analogous developments in the contemporary West. The ad hoc way of enforcing blasphemy laws is placed in the framework of classical Islamic discussion where blasphemy is a function of state jurisdiction rather than simply of vigilante activism. As the book makes clear, evidence of arbitrary use of blasphemy is evidence also of contested state jurisdiction. This is a most valuable study."
- Lamin Sanneh, D. Willis James Professor of Missions & World Christianity, Yale University

"Paul Marshall and Nina Shea have performed an important service with this account of laws and customs against "apostasy" and "blasphemy" in Muslim countries."--The Weekly Standard

"Exhaustive, courageous research is on brilliant display in Silenced: How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom Worldwide. Marshall and Shea compile a thorough dossier of existing Islamic blasphemy restrictions, show how they operate to bludgeon dissent, and chronicle a concerted campaign to export them around the globe. That alone would be a worthy achievement. But in addition, Silenced provides a ringing defense of free expression, upbraiding those who would acquiesce--out of craven fear, or flaccid political correctness--to a climate of self-censorship."--Books and Culture

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

13 of 13 people found the following review helpful

Silenced: How Apostasy and Blasphemy Codes are Choking Freedom Worldwide By Thinker on March 9, 2012

Format: Kindle Edition Amazon Verified Purchase
This book makes you think. Unfortunately, if you truly open your eyes, you see the findings that this book reports on played out every day. The book is well researched and fact based. It is quite troubling and disturbing.

Well done and thought provoking exam.
By Harry F. Drabik on April 14, 2012

Format: Paperback Amazon Verified Purchase
My enthusiasm over the book is less than it should be because I find it difficult to feel positive energy over so grim a subject. The direct and indirect results of blasphemy law crept in as regulation of hate speech or of insult or denegration form an awful challenge to free speech. It seems clear from the bulk of the material in this book those who say they only seek to address excesses of free speech intend to do so by ultimately cutting its throat. The need for citizens to be alert in defense of both free speech and separation of church/state are vital if the Western World is to remain vibrant and progressive.

Comment on cover design.
By Ansvanaz on January 18, 2013
Format: Paperback
This is a brief comment on the design of the book cover only. What is the name of this book? It is of course "Silenced: How apostasy & blasphemy codes are choking freedom worldwide." But on first glance, one might (and in fact I did) think that the title is "How apostasy & blasphemy codes are Silenced choking freedom worldwide" - which would seem to be practically the opposite of the meaning the authors wanted to give. If I were them, I would fire their book designer and hope for a second edition. It would be so easy to move "silenced" to the top of the cover, above the subtitle.

I rated this book 5 stars because I had to pick something to submit the review. In fact, I have not read it, but I certainly won't judge it by its cover.

About the Author

Paul Marshall is Senior Fellow at the Center for Religious Freedom, Hudson Institute.

Nina Shea is Director of the Center for Religious Freedom, Hudson Institute.

Product Details
Hardcover: 480 pages
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA (October 31, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9780199812264
ISBN-13: 978-0199812264
ASIN: 0199812268

http://www.amazon.com/Silenced-Apostasy-Blasphemy-Choking-Worldwide/dp/0199812268/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=&qid=

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
6.98 MB
seeders:4
leechers:6
Silenced by Paul Marshall

All Comments

Thank you. Great upload as always.
Not the best formatting, but it's the real deal.
Any suggestions as to what reader to use it in to make it more user friendly?

Thanks to the uploader.
Thank you!
My pleasure. Wish I had more time to get all the other stuff I have uploaded!