Sonny Boy Williamson II - [1975] One Way out (FLAC)

seeders: 11
leechers: 10
Added on March 11, 2015 by homelighterin Music > Lossless
Torrent verified.

Sonny Boy Williamson II - [1975] One Way out (FLAC) (Size: 254.37 MB)
 01 - Born Blind.flac14.47 MB
 02 - Work With Me.flac18.85 MB
 03 - You Killing Me.flac21.95 MB
 04 - Keep It To Yourself.flac18.76 MB
 05 - Don't Lose Your Eye.flac20.2 MB
 06 - Good Evening Everybody.flac16.39 MB
 07 - Too Close Together.flac14.57 MB
 08 - Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide.flac15.39 MB
 09 - I Wonder Why.flac10.8 MB
 10 - This Is My Apartment.flac16.71 MB
 11 - One Way Out.flac14.29 MB
 12 - Like Wolf.flac17.01 MB
 13 - Have You Ever Been In Love.flac18.53 MB
 14 - Cool Disposition.flac17.12 MB
 15 - I Know What Love Is All About.flac17.93 MB
 album notes.jpg593.36 KB
 album notes.txt3.91 KB
 Front.jpg821.8 KB

Description

Sonny Boy Williamson II - One Way Out (FLAC)
Release Date: 1968
Recording Date: 1955 - 1961

Review:
Although lacking the hilarious slice-of-life studio banter that makes its companion album Bummer Road so priceless, this is certainly a collection of terrific Chicago blues tracks as only Sonny Boy Williamson could do it. Like the Tennessee harmonica player with whom he shared a stage name, this Sonny Boy's music comes from the country blues tradition, fair and square. The way he plays harmonica is straight out of the country, with only a slight trace of the kind of microphone and amplifier distortion that the slightly younger Little Walter would exploit. Even the way these two harmonica men solo is quite different. Williamson can and does give individual notes detailed attention, creating a sound that could make a listener think the instrument responsible must be the size of a car, not something small enough to be tucked into a shirt pocket. But he often does it in such a rhythmically supportive way that instead of a chorus of harmonica soloing with band background, the result sounds more like a coordinated ensemble statement. This instrumental emphasis combines with his love of subtly shuffling, comfortable medium tempos and the sympathetic sound of his voice to create a style of blues that can approach the warm and fuzzy feeling of a good cup of hot chocolate. The instrumentalists involved all deserve much credit for the final blend. Is it Muddy Waters, or Jimmy Rogers, who picks the guitar riffs out on "Good Evening Everybody"? The sound of the instrument is unforgettably quaint, like someone playing on a 15-dollar guitar. Drummer Fred Below raises the roof on almost every track he appears, at times going over the top. The hilariously named "This Is My Apartment" has wonderfully recorded drums, including a robust tom tom sound, while the leader's harp improvisations and the guitar playing of Luther Tucker and Robert Jr. Lockwood sometimes even takes off in different directions, the result forecasting the sound of Ornette Coleman's electric groups. The same instrumental lineup makes the album's title track a classic of stinging whammy bar guitar mixed with thick, gloppy harmonica. "Like Wolf" is another one in which the drums are slathered with enough reverb to camouflage a small restaurant, while Williamson's vocal is an uncanny imitation of Howlin' Wolf. Bassist Willie Dixon may be doubling up his line with one of the guitarists on this one -- the sound of the bass seems higher than usual. Like many of the this leader's band arrangements, it is just plain amazing. Country blues or not, the sounds of the city influenced this music in just the right way. The Chicago recording scene of the '50s was a hotbed of interplay between musicians who took part in jazz and blues sessions or gigs without batting an eye at the supposed difference. The sway of jazz rhythms is not the only influence that impacts the sound of these recordings. There is also a vivid use of space and dimension, the individual instruments each given a giant amount of room and responsibility. Lockwood Jr. takes particular advantage, developing interesting tones as he fits the guitar into the picture with a constant ear for attention-grabbing moments.

Track List:
1. Born Blind
2. Work With Me
3. You Killing Me
4. Keep It To Yourself
5. Don't Lose Your Eye
6. Good Evening Everybody
7. Too Close Together
8. Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide
9. I Wonder Why
10. This Is My Apartment
11. One Way Out
12. Like Wolf
13. Have You Ever Been In Love
14. Cool Disposition
15. I Know What Love Is All About

Personnel Includes:
Sonny Boy Williamson II - Harmonica, vocals
Muddy Waters - Guitar
Jimmy Rogers - Guitar
Robert Jr. Lockwood - Guitar
Luther Tucker - Guitar
Willie Dixon - Bass
Otis Spann - Piano
Lafayette Leake - Piano
Odie Payne, Jr. - Drums
Fred Below - Drums

[Track personnel details in included liner notes]

Related Torrents

torrent name size seed leech

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
254.37 MB
seeders:11
leechers:10
Sonny Boy Williamson II - [1975] One Way out (FLAC)