The Age of American Unreason - Susan jacoby.pdf

seeders: 1
leechers: 0
Added on December 16, 2012 by AnnHedoniain Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

The Age of American Unreason - Susan jacoby.pdf (Size: 5.44 MB)
 The Age of American Unreason - Susan Jacoby.pdf5.44 MB

Description

The Age of American Unreason by Susan Jacoby

A cultural history of the last forty years, The Age of American Unreason focuses on the convergence of social forces-usually treated as separate entities-that has created a perfect storm of anti-rationalism. These include the upsurge of religious fundamentalism, with more political power today than ever before; the failure of public education to create an informed citizenry; and the triumph of video over print culture. Sparing neither the right nor the left, Jacoby asserts that Americans today have embraced a universe of “junk thought” that makes almost no effort to separate fact from opinion.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
5.44 MB
seeders:1
leechers:0
The Age of American Unreason - Susan jacoby.pdf

All Comments

thanks!
Fast download. Good torrent. Thank you!
Thanks for sharing. This should be interesting. How can such a science based society become so anti-science and anti-reason? It puzzles me. I could start hypothesizing here, but I think I better read this ;-)
While the USA has lots of college educated people, there are many many more who barely made it through high school. TONS of kids raised by the TV set, and not by their parents. Kids not encouraged to READ by parents whose lives are wrapped up in making money, paying the bills, and more-or-less entertaining themselves! If you can watch TV, and you are young, impressionable, and don't know the difference between fantasy and fact, the TV mesmerizes, entrances, and misguides you.. and 1000s others. "Why bother to read anything? All I have to do is turn on the TV"... teenagers and adults alike complain that movies based on books don't reflect the stories in the books! (As if ANY movie could EVER capture all the detail of a book!) So what do they do? They stop reading the books, and simply watch the movies - and that's good enough for them!