The Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions "So Tough" (1972 quad mix 24/96 lossless 4.0 DVD-A *vinyl*)

seeders: 1
leechers: 1
Added on June 14, 2014 by UnderMyWheelsin Music > Lossless
Torrent verified.

The Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions "So Tough" (1972 quad mix 24/96 lossless 4.0 DVD-A *vinyl*) (Size: 1.84 GB)
 Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions, So Tough (Front).jpg869.06 KB
 sotough.jpg705.09 KB
 Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions, So Tough (Back).jpg632.8 KB
 Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions, So Tough (Label).jpg431.1 KB
 info.txt1.69 KB
 foo_dr.txt1.33 KB
 Rich Mountain Tower - Song of the Sea (QS-D1000).flac109.61 MB
 Rich Mountain Tower - Song of the Sea (OxfordDickie).flac66.74 MB
 Electronic Whirlpool (QS-D1000).flac17.61 MB
 Electronic Whirlpool (OxfordDickie).flac11.43 MB
 beachBoy.iso1.64 GB
 Warning.txt921 bytes
 Torrent downloaded from Demonoid.ph.txt46 bytes

Description

The Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions "So Tough" (1972 quad/surround mix 24/96 lossless 4.0 DVD-A)

24/96 4.0 lossless MLP (DVD-Audio).

16/48 4.0 DTS @ 1536kbps (DVD-Video) for compatibility with standard DVD players.

Converted from quad DY encoded vinyl using a SANSUI QS-D1000 VARIO MATRIX hardware decoder.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: A well known authority in the quad scene known as OxfordDickie has commented on my DY/EV4 releases. He claims that I "continues to fool people" with "poor, inaccurate releases". His comments can be read here: http://www.demonoid.ph/files/details/3004144/22331144/

If you feel his criticism is fair, then don't download this. It is not for you. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

For those of you that may be interested in comparing the EV4 decoding capabilities of the QS-D1000 versus OxfordDickie's own conversion method, I have included four 4.0 flac sample files. Two EV4 tracks decoded by OxfordDickie (available on his private blog), and the same two tracks decoded by the QS-D1000. Compare, listen and judge for yourselves. If after listening to these tracks you feel the QS-D1000 does an unacceptable job of decoding EV4 then don't download any of my future DY/EV4 releases. Again, you have been warned.

"They can't have much faith in the new one if they're loss-leading with an old one (the one that turned them into a cult band, now finally--how did we stand the wait?--available in its pristine mono form). And indeed, there's no reason they should. Despite the title, it's not some sort of primitive surf doowop--sounds a lot like Friends and Holland to me. Fairly pleasant, but even the highlights aren't all that hot: a nice Brian Wilson oeuvre called "Marcella" (sounds like Smiley Smile) and a silly gospel song for the Maharishi." C+

- Robert Christgau, Village Voice

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
1.84 GB
seeders:1
leechers:1
The Beach Boys - Carl and the Passions "So Tough" (1972 quad mix 24/96 lossless 4.0 DVD-A *vinyl*)

All Comments

You may be correct about the center that they are referring to is intended to be behind the listener, not in front. The Hafler method was my very first pseudo quad set up back in the late 60's. I could afford a 10 ohm resister and an extra speaker, but could only dream about a Sansui QRX receiver at the time. It got me hooked on possibilities of quadraphonics.

Thanks again for your postings. (And don't make Richard mad or he will pull down his website....again....:)
First, let me say thank you for posting the quad transfers. (I have all these quad LPs, but playing a DVD-A is easier when I'm feeling lazy.)
I haven't compared the decoding differences on this or the other BB DY quads using my QSD-1, QSD-1000 or EV-4 decoders in terms of channel splitting, but the problem I see that the DY system calls for the speakers to be in a diamond arrangement, not a square. Note on the Carl & the Passions LP is says it is recorded in a "center channel" quad fashion.
So, even if the QSD-1000 correctly splits the 4 channels, wouldn't that put the "center" channel in one of the rear speakers?
AFAIK DY was an open standard for quad recording/playback that used the traditional four speakers in each corner arrangement. DY was mainly intended to be decoded using a "Hafler hookup"; three or four speakers connected to a single stereo amplifier ( http://www.selfbuildnewhomes.com/images/Hafler%20Hookup.jpg ). This was essentially a three channel system, and many people used only a single rear speaker. The ElectroVoice EV4 decoder decoded DY into four channels (with a traditional speaker arrangement) and this was the decoder recommended by The Beach Boys at the time.

In other words "center channel quad" refers to a three channel hafler hookup with a center channel BEHIND the listener. At least that is my understanding.