The Silent Partner 1978 DvdRip Mp4 Lee1001

seeders: 8
leechers: 3
Added on March 22, 2014 by xultin Movies
Torrent verified.

The Silent Partner 1978 DvdRip Mp4 Lee1001 (Size: 653.58 MB)
 The Silent Partner.mp4653.58 MB

Description

The Silent Partner 1978 DvdRip Mp4 Lee1001

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078269/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silent_Partner_%281978_film%29

The Silent Partner is a Canadian thriller film first released on 7th September 1978, directed by Daryl Duke. The film is based on a novel by Anders Bodelsen and stars Elliott Gould, Christopher Plummer, Susannah York, CĂ©line Lomez and Michael Kirby.

The Silent Partner is: very good, a satisfying piece of cinema that impresses both in its direction and writing.

The Silent Partner is a wonderful sleeper that most viewers saw in the first years of cable television screenings. It's the kind of low-profile neo-noir thriller that wouldn't become popular for a few more years. The clever, tense script by Curtis Hanson (White Dog, L.A. Confidential) finds new twists in old crime capers, setting up a tense battle of wits between Elliott Gould's amateur crook and Christopher Plummer's genuinely scary robber. When things get rough The Silent Partner doesn't go soft; it backs up its threats with some nerve-jangling gore.

Roger Ebert:March 30, 1979

Was it only yesterday that I was complaining about "Love and Bullets," the terrible Charles Bronson bomb with the incomprehensible plot? Not to keep you too long in suspense: Yes, it was. And after I wrote that review I left the office with a heavy heart, for I knew that I had still another movie to see. It was named "The Silent Partner," I had heard nothing about it, its star was Elliott Gould (who has not been in a lot of hits lately), and it was about a bank robbery. I would have given you 3-to-1 that it was a dog.

But, not to keep you in suspense, it wasn't. Along with half a dozen other lonely moviegoers, I was witness to a small miracle: To a thriller that was not only intelligently and well acted and very scary, but also had the most audaciously clockwork plot I've seen in a long time. "Silent Partner's" plot, indeed, has such ironies and reversals and neatly inevitable triple-crosses that it's worthy of Hitchcock.

The movie stars Gould as a Toronto bank teller who realizes, one day, that the department store Santa Claus outside his bank is acting strangely. "You ever hear of a Santa Claus who didn't like kids?" he asks someone. They have not. Gould is overwhelmed by a lightning bolt of intuition: Santa is casing the joint in preparation for a holdup. Then Gould is struck by an inspiration: Why can't he personally steal the money just before he's held up by Santa? That way Santa gets the blame and Gould gets the fifty grand.

This inspiration is only the opening premise of "Silent Partner," which drifts into some very deep waters of loyalty, blackmail, eroticism and poetic justice. I won't describe any more of the plot, which unfolds with a clockwork precision. What's also fun about the movie, though, is its characters: The bank teller player by Gould, the sadistic robber (Christopher Plummer), the thoroughly confused girl Gould sometimes condescends to seduce (Susannah York), and the beautiful French-Canadian girl (Celine Lomez) who is first Plummer's lover and then Gould's accomplice.

The movie tells the story of these people with such convincing and understated detail that the plot, preposterous as it really is, becomes almost convincing. That's partially the achievement of the director, Daryl Duke, a Canadian veteran of a lot of television and one superb feature film, "Payday," which starred Rip Torn as a doomed country singer.

Duke obtains the best performance Gould has given in years, he succeeds in making the sometimes bland Christopher Plummer into a figure of pure malevolence, and in casting Celine Lomez as the other girl, he has unleashed upon us a young actress with the erotic impact of, say, the young Irene Papas.

Where did "Silent Partner" come from? I can only speculate. It has opened here without much advance notice, with little advertising, with a set of good New York reviews that are six months old because the movie didn't do much business in New York and couldn't get many bookings elsewhere. It opens here now, in mid-September, because the dog days are upon us and the October blockbusters are still in the starting gate.

The movie was apparently one of those Canadian tax shelter deals in which the box office loot doesn't matter much anyway; everybody makes his money on the deal, and the movie is thrown to the wolves. And yet if we forget the logistics and the deal and the movie's obscurity, what we're left with is a small but wonderful gem of a thriller: A film in which complicated people and a very complicated plot come together in a mechanism that leaves us marveling at its ingenuity.

Christopher Plummer's genuinely scary robber.

Gould is outstanding as the tropical-fish-loving good guy.

Timid bank teller Miles Cullen (Elliott Gould) never acts on his instincts, repeatedly backing away from involvement with his interested co-worker Julie Carver (Susannah York). But when he realizes that a mall Santa Claus is monitoring deposits at his teller window and is going to rob him, Miles puts a daring plan into operation: Keep most of the cash for himself and let the robber get away with just a few bills. The idea works beautifully until the thief Harry Reikle (Christopher Plummer) confronts Miles, demanding "his" money. Cullen finds himself in a secret partnership with a homicidal maniac, and must retaliate with his own dirty tricks to keep the cash, stay out of jail -- and stay alive.

A fringe benefit is a small contribution by the late John Candy.

VIDEO

Size.... 653mb

Duration.... 01:45:37

Codec.... h264

Frame Width..... 720

Frame Height.... 384

Data Rate.... 778kbps

Frame Rate.... 23F/S

AUDIO

Bit Rate....82kbps

1 Channel mono

Audio Sample Rate.... 44KHz