The Test: Why Our Schools are Obsessed with Standardized Testing–But You Don't Have to Be - Anya Kamenetz - [PDF][N27]

seeders: 4
leechers: 1
Added on June 2, 2016 by N27in Books > Ebooks
Torrent verified.

Description

The Test: Why Our Schools are Obsessed with Standardized Testing–But You Don't Have to Be

by

Anya Kamenetz

Language: English | Format: PDF | ISBN-10: 1610394410 | ISBN-13: 978-1610394413

Page count: 272 | Date Published: 12 March 2015 | Publisher: PublicAffairs,U.S.

Health, Family & Personal Development, Family & Relationships

CONTENTS

Intro
PART I
INTRODUCTION
1 TEN ARGUMENTS AGAINST TESTING
2 THE HISTORY OF TESTS
3 THE POLITICS OF TESTS
PART II
4 OPTING OUT
5 THE FOUR TEAMS
6 MEASURING WHAT MATTERS
7 PLAYING AND WINNING THE TESTING GAME
ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
NOTES
INDEX

Excerpt:

“I’m writing a book about school testing.”

“Thank goodness. It’s about time.”

That’s the conversation I’ve been having again and again recently. As an education writer for the past twelve years and as a parent talking to other parents, I’ve seen how high-stakes standardized tests are stunting children’s spirits, adding stress to family life, demoralizing teachers, undermining schools, paralyzing the education debate, and gutting our country’s future competitiveness.

The way much of school is organized around these tests makes little sense for young humans developmentally. Nor does it square with what the world needs.

My husband edited together a two-minute time-lapse video of our daughter learning, over several months, to walk: standing up on wobbly legs, waving her hands with a “Woop!” crashing back down on her rear end, toddling a few steps into our outstretched arms, and, finally, crossing a room. It’s pretty irresistible, if I do say so myself.

Parenting my daughter in the first years of her life has been a master class on human development. She is so driven to explore her environment and to express herself, to communicate with, please, and sometimes resist the people around her. She doesn’t just walk—she walks toward something. She doesn’t just speak—she speaks to someone. Mental, physical, emotional, and social milestones are all intertwined.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
5.6 MB
seeders:4
leechers:1
The Test: Why Our Schools are Obsessed with Standardized Testing–But You Don't Have to Be - Anya Kamenetz - [PDF][N27]