Xenophon - Historical & Philosophical Writings (5 books)

seeders: 23
leechers: 1
Added on February 11, 2014 by coldnorthwindin Books > Non-fiction
Torrent verified.

Xenophon - Historical & Philosophical Writings (5 books) (Size: 11.88 MB)
 Xenophon - Conversations of Socrates (Penguin, 1990).epub2 MB
 Xenophon - Conversations of Socrates (Penguin, 1990).jpg127.01 KB
 Xenophon - Expedition of Cyrus (OUP, 2005).epub1.44 MB
 Xenophon - Expedition of Cyrus (OUP, 2005).jpg84.7 KB
 Xenophon - Expedition of Cyrus (OUP, 2005).pdf1.33 MB
 Xenophon - Hiero the Tyrant & Other Treatises (Penguin, 2006).epub2.34 MB
 Xenophon - Hiero the Tyrant & Other Treatises (Penguin, 2006).jpg172.71 KB
 Strauss, Leo - Xenophon's Socratic Discourse (St. Augustines Press, 1998).jpg45.38 KB
 Strauss, Leo - Xenophon's Socratic Discourse (St. Augustines Press, 1998).pdf3.37 MB
 Xenophon - A History of My Times (Penguin, 1979).epub885.43 KB
 Xenophon - A History of My Times (Penguin, 1979).jpg123.54 KB

Description

image image
image image

XENOPHON (ca. 430 - 354 BCE) was a Greek historian, soldier, mercenary, and student of Socrates. He is known for writing about the history of his times, the late 5th and early 4th centuries BCE, especially for his account of the final years of the Peloponnesian War. Xenophon's HELLENICA (translated here as A HISTORY OF MY TIMES) is considered to be the continuation of Thucydides' History of the Peloponnesian War. His youthful participation in the failed campaign of Cyrus the Younger to claim the Persian throne inspired him to write about the Persian empire and its history.

Other than Plato, Xenophon is the foremost authority on Socrates, having learned under the great philosopher while a young man. He greatly admired his teacher, and well after Socrates' death in 399 Xenophon wrote several Socratic dialogues, including an Apology concerning the events of his trial and death.

The following books are a mix of ePUB and/or PDF formats as indicated:

* CONVERSATIONS OF SOCRATES (Penguin Classics, 1990). Translated by Hugh Tredennick and Robin Waterfield, and edited with new material by Robin Waterfield. -- ePUB

* THE EXPEDITION OF CYRUS (Oxford World's Classics, 2005). Translated by Robin Waterfield with an Introduction and Notes by Tim Rood. -- ePUB + PDF

* HIERO THE TYRANT & OTHER DISCOURSES (Penguin Classics, 2006). Translated by Robin Waterfield with Introductions and Notes by Paul Cartledge. -- ePUB

* A HISTORY OF MY TIMES [Hellenica] (Penguin Classics, 1979). Translated by Byrex Warner with an Introduction and Notes by George Cawkwell. -- ePUB

* THE OECONOMICUS. Translated by Carnes Lord. Included in: Leo Strauss, XENOPHON'S SOCRATIC DISCOURSE: An Interpretation of "The Oeconomicus" (St. Augustine's Press, 1998). -- PDF

Additional works by Xenophon:

Portions of Xenophon's ANABASIS are translated in THE PORTABLE GREEK HISTORIANS, edited by Moses I. Finley (Viking, 1959), which is part of the following collection:

http://kickasstorrents.ee/thucydides-history-of-the-peloponnesian-war-5-translations-t8758254.html

Portions of Xenophon's SOCRATES' DEFENSE TO THE JURY are translated in THE TRIALS OF SOCRATES, edited by C. D. C. Reeve (Hackett, 2002), which is available here:

http://kickasstorrents.ee/aristophanes-the-complete-greek-comedies-7-books-t8751945.html

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
11.88 MB
seeders:23
leechers:1
Xenophon - Historical & Philosophical Writings (5 books)

All Comments

many thanks 4 sharing
Thank you very much.