Alexander Prasol - Modern Japan [2010][A]

seeders: 54
leechers: 9
Added on June 14, 2014 by Anette14in Books > Academic
Torrent verified.

Alexander Prasol - Modern Japan [2010][A] (Size: 4.38 MB)
 Alexander Prasol - Modern Japan [2010][A].pdf4.08 MB
 folder.jpg307.4 KB

Description

Product Details
Book Title: Modern Japan: Origins of the Mind: Japanese Mentality and Tradition in Contemporary Life
Book Author: Alexander Prasol (Author)
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: World Scientific Publishing Company (July 22, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9814295639
ISBN-13: 978-9814295635

Book Description
Publication Date: July 22, 2010
The book takes a fresh look at modern Japan, and does not treat the Japanese as enigmatic or mysterious people; their ways of thinking and their culture can be explained by an honest appraisal of their history and of the norms that have shaped this history. This book not only reveals the mentality and national character of modern Japanese people but also attempts to explore and analyze the roots of their mannerisms. Everyone knows that the Japanese are generally more polite than other nationalities, but why is this so? Why do they embrace a relaxed attitude when being served by others? Surely, there must be specific reasons to account for these observations. Delving into the social values of the Japanese, why do they value loyalty and commitment so much? How long have they been upholding these virtues? Why, when interrogated by the police, even without being beaten or tortured, do they easily confess guilt for crimes that they have not committed? What are the reasons for such behaviors? All these questions and more are answered in this engaging and illuminating book.

Reviews
“This book is very informative — it gives valuable insight into the Japanese mentality and allows the reader to get a feel for the Japanese way of life. It is highly original and highly recommended. The author's personal observations and interesting examples make this book a particularly enjoyable read for both a general audience interested in modern Japanese life and culture and those who regularly interact with the Japanese: business people, workers in the hospitality and tourism industries, educators, tourists and governmental officials.” Professor Alexander Shnyrko Head of the Japanese Department Far Eastern National University

“Dr Prasol's keen insight into the Japanese psyche and of group behavior is impressively accurate, and based upon nearly two decades of living and working in Japan. This book is a vital help to those wishing to gain a better understanding of Japanese culture in the 21st century.” Gregory Hadley, Author of Field of Spears and Professor of English and American Cultural Studies, Niigata University of International and Information Studies in Japan

About the Author
I was born and raised on the coast of the Japan Sea in the Russian city of Vladivostok. I graduated from the Faculty of Oriental Studies at the Far Eastern National University, and have dedicated almost 40 years to studying Japan, having defended both my MA and PhD theses on various aspects of Japanese culture. For the last 18 years, I have been living in Japan where I teach Russian history, language and culture. I have drawn upon my personal experience and observations in this book in an effort to explain how ancient traditions and cultural mentality work in contemporary Japan to make her a fascinating and attractive subject.

Sharing Widget

Download torrent
4.38 MB
seeders:54
leechers:9
Alexander Prasol - Modern Japan [2010][A]

All Comments

Japan, land of manga and Yaoi.:) Thank you for this book!
Perfect copy. Thanks again.